where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Is 3D view of a weld flaw no longer an option?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

PBP Optel sp. z o.o.
We are searching new ways - in ultrasonic techniques - in creation of new products

03:33 Oct-24-2000

Suresh

R & D, Intelligent NDT Robotics Embedded Sytem Design
South Bank University,
United Kingdom,
Joined Aug 2002
Is 3D view of a weld flaw no longer an option?

Does anybody agrees that the 3D view of a flaw no longer an option because there are better equipments available providing with adequate information? TOFD & Pulse Echo methods in terms of flaw sizing are good interesting areas. From embedded view point, if there should be a software which can provide with a 3D view of the flaw whatever it’s orientation and shape, Would it be any use to NDT?

The Physics is the existing TOFD and Pulse echo methods, but I strongly believe that the data produced from those methods contains all information I need for 3D flaw but the algorithm I am after is to pin point the required data for sizing the flaw. Investigation should be in Neural Network and the development of a mathematical model in embedded application.

Please comment on the above assumptions.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|