where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
crack testing of storage vessels
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:00 Oct-24-2000
Edward Jackson
crack testing of storage vessels

Hi,

I am a novice to the NDT world. I am a second year undergraduate at Loughborough Universtiy studying Mech.Eng.I am doing a industrial project where a valid soultion may well end up being put into place.

I am after information about testing stainless steel storage silos (1000 to 60000 gallons) for cracks in the welds. The silos undergo a high thermal shock every day as part of the cleaning process.

I am looking to detect cracks that appear on the inside surface of the silos. They will probably appear in the welds and they can be randomly orientated.The cracks should be detected before they become big enough to harbour bacteria. There are no identifiable cracks at present.

The tanks are not suitable to send a person inside them without contravening the confined spaces act. There is a water jacket on the outside of the tank that is not removalbe but the water can be removed from it.

I hope that I have provided enough information, thank you in advance for your help.

Ed Jackson

please feel freeto e-mail me on either:-

ed_jackson@ntlworld.com
or E.C.Jackson-99@student.lboro.ac.uk

01:03 Oct-25-2000

Michael Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: crack testing of storage vessels to get the real feasibility you would be wise talking with Physical Acoustic Corporation at the link specified below.

01:38 Oct-25-2000
Jens Forker
Re: crack testing of storage vessels Hi,

I believe AE could do a good job in your application. Vallen-Systeme GmbH (www.vallen.de)is the onliest european manufacturer of AE equipment. To discuss the feasibility of your application with the help of AE please contact our UK representative Mr Chris Rowland (101750.2134@compuserve.com).

Regard
Jens Forker

: Hi,

: I am a novice to the NDT world. I am a second year undergraduate at Loughborough Universtiy studying Mech.Eng.I am doing a industrial project where a valid soultion may well end up being put into place.

: I am after information about testing stainless steel storage silos (1000 to 60000 gallons) for cracks in the welds. The silos undergo a high thermal shock every day as part of the cleaning process.

: I am looking to detect cracks that appear on the inside surface of the silos. They will probably appear in the welds and they can be randomly orientated.The cracks should be detected before they become big enough to harbour bacteria. There are no identifiable cracks at present.

: The tanks are not suitable to send a person inside them without contravening the confined spaces act. There is a water jacket on the outside of the tank that is not removalbe but the water can be removed from it.

: I hope that I have provided enough information, thank you in advance for your help.

: Ed Jackson

: please feel free to e-mail me on either:-

: ed_jackson@ntlworld.com
: or E.C.Jackson-99@student.lboro.ac.uk

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|