where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonatest Ltd
From our three distinct business centres in the UK, USA and CANADA, Sonatest design and produce a leading range of high performance ultrasonic NDT equipment and accessories.

Career Discussions
Greg
Greg
05:32 Aug-28-2008
Film Reducer

Hi there, I worked in Holland for a year, and they used a chemical for reducing the density of film, they called it Potferri, been told Kodak used to market it but have stopped, curious as to the mix recipe and if it is even legal to use in NDT. Anyone know? interestd in any alternative chemical mixes to do the same
Thanks
Greg

Yagil Shoef
Yagil Shoef
02:07 Aug-28-2008
Re: Film Reducer
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi there, I worked in Holland for a year, and they used a chemical for reducing the density of film, they called it Potferri, been told Kodak used to market it but have stopped, curious as to the mix recipe and if it is even legal to use in NDT. Anyone know? interestd in any alternative chemical mixes to do the same
: Thanks
: Greg
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi Greg,
I am Kodak dealer in Israel for the NDT films.
The product does exsist in Kodak, It was Tetenal which discontinued it. Though it is not in the NDT portfolio but in the professional photography product line, thus look for your local professional photography dealer to sell you
Kodak farmer reducer Cat: 1691492.
Hope this helps.
Yagil Shoef.
Gabi Shoef Ltd. Israel

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 834

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
08:29 Sep-01-2008
Hi Greg,

Could you tell me why you would want to use this product in the first place? From what I understand about RT, you take a test shot and process it in accordance with the temperature of your chemical and than you check your film density. If your film density is not right, there are many ways to correct it. The easiest is to reduce you exposure time or by controlling the temperature of your chemicals or again maybe your chemicals needs to be change. Is there something I'm missing beside the fact that your source may be too hot?

Michel

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hi there, I worked in Holland for a year, and they used a chemical for reducing the density of film, they called it Potferri, been told Kodak used to market it but have stopped, curious as to the mix recipe and if it is even legal to use in NDT. Anyone know? interestd in any alternative chemical mixes to do the same
: : Thanks
: : Greg
: Hi Greg,
: I am Kodak dealer in Israel for the NDT films.
: The product does exsist in Kodak, It was Tetenal which discontinued it. Though it is not in the NDT portfolio but in the professional photography product line, thus look for your local professional photography dealer to sell you
: Kodak farmer reducer Cat: 1691492.
: Hope this helps.
: Yagil Shoef.
: Gabi Shoef Ltd. Israel

Nick Welland
Other, Quality and NDT
Aben Technical Services, Australia, Joined Oct 1999, 42

Nick Welland

Other, Quality and NDT
Aben Technical Services,
Australia,
Joined Oct 1999
01:25 Sep-02-2008
Hi gentlemen,

Potassium ferricyanide has been for many years a valued tool in portrait and general artistic photography for brightening highlights.

I generally regard the use on RT film of potassium ferricyanide as a serious ethics violation. The chemical acts as a bleach, and removes silver from the emulsion.
Inevitably, the greatest effect is to lighten the lowest density areas thus degrading true contrast and defect detectability.
I have heard of its use to lighten batches of film which have been overexposed for whatever (always avoidable) reason and the technician or his manager wish to avoid the expense of a reshoot. The object is to get a film which will show a legal density to an inspector.
An experienced film auditor should be alerted by the appearance of the film, which will show anomalous density and contrast with respect to the exposure technique recorded.

Best Regards,
Nick
---------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi Greg,
: Could you tell me why you wouldwant to use this product in the first place? From what I understand about RT, you take a test shot and process it in accordance with the temperature of your chemical and than you check your film density. If your film density is not right, there are many ways to correct it. The easiest is to reduce you exposure time or by controlling the temperature of your chemicals or again maybe your chemicals needs to be change. Is there something I'm missing beside the fact that your source may be too hot?
: Michel
: : : Hi there, I worked in Holland for a year, and they used a chemical for reducing the density of film, they called it Potferri, been told Kodak used to market it but have stopped, curious as to the mix recipe and if it is even legal to use in NDT. Anyone know? interestd in any alternative chemical mixes to do the same
: : : Thanks
: : : Greg
: : Hi Greg,
: : I am Kodak dealer in Israel for the NDT films.
: : The product does exsist in Kodak, It was Tetenal which discontinued it. Though it is not in the NDT portfolio but in the professional photography product line, thus look for your local professional photography dealer to sell you
: : Kodak farmer reducer Cat: 1691492.
: : Hope this helps.
: : Yagil Shoef.
: : Gabi Shoef Ltd. Israel

Product Spotlight

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

HARDNESS TESTER TKM-459CE combi

TKM-459CE combi applies 2 methods of hardness control: UCI and Leeb. It provides high-accuracy tes
ting of metals and alloys as well as items of different sizes and configurations, their hardened layers and galvanic coatings. Device represents results in HB, HRC, HV and others. Shock-, dust- and water-proof housing with intuitive software make this gauge easy to use in all working conditions.
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window