where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Film Reducer
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:32 Aug-28-2008
Greg
Film Reducer

Hi there, I worked in Holland for a year, and they used a chemical for reducing the density of film, they called it Potferri, been told Kodak used to market it but have stopped, curious as to the mix recipe and if it is even legal to use in NDT. Anyone know? interestd in any alternative chemical mixes to do the same
Thanks
Greg

02:07 Aug-28-2008
Yagil Shoef
Re: Film Reducer ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi there, I worked in Holland for a year, and they used a chemical for reducing the density of film, they called it Potferri, been told Kodak used to market it but have stopped, curious as to the mix recipe and if it is even legal to use in NDT. Anyone know? interestd in any alternative chemical mixes to do the same
: Thanks
: Greg
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi Greg,
I am Kodak dealer in Israel for the NDT films.
The product does exsist in Kodak, It was Tetenal which discontinued it. Though it is not in the NDT portfolio but in the professional photography product line, thus look for your local professional photography dealer to sell you
Kodak farmer reducer Cat: 1691492.
Hope this helps.
Yagil Shoef.
Gabi Shoef Ltd. Israel

08:29 Sep-01-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: Film Reducer Hi Greg,

Could you tell me why you would want to use this product in the first place? From what I understand about RT, you take a test shot and process it in accordance with the temperature of your chemical and than you check your film density. If your film density is not right, there are many ways to correct it. The easiest is to reduce you exposure time or by controlling the temperature of your chemicals or again maybe your chemicals needs to be change. Is there something I'm missing beside the fact that your source may be too hot?

Michel

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hi there, I worked in Holland for a year, and they used a chemical for reducing the density of film, they called it Potferri, been told Kodak used to market it but have stopped, curious as to the mix recipe and if it is even legal to use in NDT. Anyone know? interestd in any alternative chemical mixes to do the same
: : Thanks
: : Greg
: Hi Greg,
: I am Kodak dealer in Israel for the NDT films.
: The product does exsist in Kodak, It was Tetenal which discontinued it. Though it is not in the NDT portfolio but in the professional photography product line, thus look for your local professional photography dealer to sell you
: Kodak farmer reducer Cat: 1691492.
: Hope this helps.
: Yagil Shoef.
: Gabi Shoef Ltd. Israel

01:25 Sep-02-2008

Nick Welland

Other, Quality and NDT
Aben Technical Services,
Australia,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Film Reducer Hi gentlemen,

Potassium ferricyanide has been for many years a valued tool in portrait and general artistic photography for brightening highlights.

I generally regard the use on RT film of potassium ferricyanide as a serious ethics violation. The chemical acts as a bleach, and removes silver from the emulsion.
Inevitably, the greatest effect is to lighten the lowest density areas thus degrading true contrast and defect detectability.
I have heard of its use to lighten batches of film which have been overexposed for whatever (always avoidable) reason and the technician or his manager wish to avoid the expense of a reshoot. The object is to get a film which will show a legal density to an inspector.
An experienced film auditor should be alerted by the appearance of the film, which will show anomalous density and contrast with respect to the exposure technique recorded.

Best Regards,
Nick
---------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi Greg,
: Could you tell me why you wouldwant to use this product in the first place? From what I understand about RT, you take a test shot and process it in accordance with the temperature of your chemical and than you check your film density. If your film density is not right, there are many ways to correct it. The easiest is to reduce you exposure time or by controlling the temperature of your chemicals or again maybe your chemicals needs to be change. Is there something I'm missing beside the fact that your source may be too hot?
: Michel
: : : Hi there, I worked in Holland for a year, and they used a chemical for reducing the density of film, they called it Potferri, been told Kodak used to market it but have stopped, curious as to the mix recipe and if it is even legal to use in NDT. Anyone know? interestd in any alternative chemical mixes to do the same
: : : Thanks
: : : Greg
: : Hi Greg,
: : I am Kodak dealer in Israel for the NDT films.
: : The product does exsist in Kodak, It was Tetenal which discontinued it. Though it is not in the NDT portfolio but in the professional photography product line, thus look for your local professional photography dealer to sell you
: : Kodak farmer reducer Cat: 1691492.
: : Hope this helps.
: : Yagil Shoef.
: : Gabi Shoef Ltd. Israel

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|