where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Phoenix Inspection Systems Limited
Design and manufacture ultrasonic Transducers, Scanners and Custom Solutions for NDT inspections. Innovators in NDT technology
Technical Discussions
bram desmet
bram desmet
02:31 Oct-26-2000
ultrasonic sound refraction

A question: does sound have a perfect reflection when the attack angle to a surface becomes to big, just like light(according to the refraction law of Snellius-Descartes)?

Michael Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 138

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
06:50 Oct-26-2000
Re: ultrasonic sound refraction
: A question: does sound have a perfect reflection when the attack angle to a surface becomes to big, just like light(according to the refraction law of Snellius-Descartes)?

My answer would be no. Your post is titled ultrasonic sound refraction but your question is regarding perfect reflection.

With reflection the surface roughness is one factor to be considered, rougher surfaces widen the sound wave front resulting in a loss of energy.

With refraction different modes of propagation (in a solid) can occur ie surface, longitudal, shear which all have different velocities. Now the velocities for the refracted into the material are different from what is transmitted in there fore energy loss occurs.

So in both cases it cannot be perfect, even if light was put on a mirror a perfect mirror does not exist.

If I may can I ask you a question? Where did you find the reference to Snellius-Descartes? This topic was broached here a long time ago as some text I saw stated the law we commonly call Snell’slaw was actually prescribed by Descartes first. Snellius was doing similar research but expressed his formula differently.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad

bram desmet
bram desmet
03:08 Oct-26-2000
At our University, the law "sin a1/sina2 = c1/c2" is commonly known as the law of "Snellius-Descartes". I should ask my professor, why he calls it that way.

Concerning my question now. If we consider a perfectly smooth surface, above a certain angle of attack, called Bragg's angle (which depends from the two sound speeds, or refraction modulifor light), this equation isn't valuable anymore, because it would cause one of the two sinusses in the formula to be bigger than one. In terms of light, we then have perfect reflection. But what with sound. Does it have the same effect?

Michael Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 138

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
07:45 Oct-27-2000
: At our University, the law "sin a1/sina2 = c1/c2" is commonly known as the law of "Snellius-Descartes". I should ask my professor, why he calls it that way.

: Concerning my question now. If we consider a perfectly smooth surface, above a certain angle of attack, called Bragg's angle (which depends from the two sound speeds, or refraction modulifor light), this equation isn't valuable anymore, because it would cause one of the two sinusses in the formula to be bigger than one. In terms of light, we then have perfect reflection. But what with sound. Does it have the same effect?

Ok the law we use for Ultrasonic testing is what we call Snell's law "sin a1/sina2 = v1/v2" 'v' being the velocity of sound in the material.

Strange enough the ASNT hanbook does not mention Braggs law for either UT (Ultrasonic Testing) or VT (Visual Testing), it does mention Braggs law in the RT (Radiographic Testing) section. I did find a reference to Knott's Equation which is stated to be used additionally to Snell's law for reflected ultrasonic shear waves. I hope this may be of some use to you.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad

Liviu Singher
R & D,
Technion, Israel, Joined Nov 1998, 11

Liviu Singher

R & D,
Technion,
Israel,
Joined Nov 1998
09:21 Oct-29-2000
Regarding perfect reflection, sound will behave exactly the same as does light, meaning that for certain values of velocity, and about a certain angle, you get "perfect reflection". There are two differences though:
(1) The terms usually used are different than the one you presented (with light as well). "Perfect reflection" is known as "Total Reflection" and the "Bragg angle" is knows as "Critical angle".
(2)In sound, compared with light, there are two critical angles, one for the L wave and one for the T wave.

Hope that helps.

Liviu Singher

: At our University, the law "sin a1/sina2 = c1/c2" is commonly known as the law of "Snellius-Descartes". I should ask my professor, why he calls it that way.

: Concerning my question now. If we consider a perfectly smooth surface, above a certain angle of attack, called Bragg's angle (which depends from the two sound speeds, or refraction modulifor light), this equation isn't valuable anymore, because it would cause one of the two sinusses in the formula to be bigger than one. In terms of light, we then have perfect reflection. But what with sound. Does it have the same effect?

alanktop
alanktop
02:38 Apr-16-2001
hiii, i wanna know much about this topics, where i can find free books

Product Spotlight

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window