where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Welding and NDT
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:10 Sep-26-2008

Luis Ganhao

Engineering,
USA,
Joined Sep 2008
Welding and NDT

Is a good practice used FCAW in Cryogenic service (pipe lines stainless steel) and is 20% of UT/RT inspection enough?

03:21 Sep-26-2008

bob sudharmin

Engineering, Reliability and Integrity Eng
Shell Malaysia Trading,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2008
Re: Welding and NDT Where is this 20% NDT referenced from, and what grade of stainless steel is being used?

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Is a good practice used FCAW in Cryogenic service (pipe lines stainless steel) and is 20% of UT/RT inspection enough?
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:44 Sep-27-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: Welding and NDT It depend on what is allowable by the code that is applicable to your situation. Some codes that come to mind are API 570 and ASME B31. Now I don't really know your application, but I'm sure the code will tell you what you can do.

Michel
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Where is this 20% NDT referenced from, and what grade of stainless steel is being used?
: : Is a good practice used FCAW in Cryogenic service (pipe lines stainless steel) and is 20% of UT/RT inspection enough?

00:21 Sep-29-2008

Rafal Mis

Sales, - Technical Support
Olympus Poland,
Poland,
Joined Sep 2008
Re: Welding and NDT ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Is a good practice used FCAW in Cryogenic service (pipe lines stainless steel) and is 20% of UT/RT inspection enough?

In that kind of construction I think you should use 100% inspection. I suppose you need to be sure of construction reliability and 20% inspection won't guarantee that.
I know the way to perform fast and reliable UT of thin pipes (2-8 mm). These kind of testing is also cheap. If you need some further informations please contact me.

07:05 Sep-30-2008

Rafal Mis

Sales, - Technical Support
Olympus Poland,
Poland,
Joined Sep 2008
Re: Welding and NDT ----------- Start Original Message -----------

Responsable constructions means constructions with many welds should have good reliability. It is a mistake to perform statistic testing (for ex. 20%) for such constructions. It come of reliability theory. Real cases of accidents and technical tragedies was presented in article on 9th ECNDT in 2006 "Reliability of constructions...". You can find it on ndt.net ( http://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?DocGroup=-1&date=-1&language=-1&Country=-1&KeywordID=-1&MainSource=40&instID=-1&SearchDocs=mierzwa&restrict=-1&searchmode=AND&OrderBy=session&rpp=20&rppoffset=0&menu=docs.php3 )
It this article 100% testing is advised along with consequent welds selection (good/bad) and their repeirment. Obvious condition for 100% testing if a fast and reliable method for such testing. You can find free methodhere: www.ultrasonic.home.pl/pdf/niezawodnosc/ibus_td_en.pdf

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|