where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
NDT/UT Cert Transition
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

AMDATA Products (WesDyne)
AMDATA is an engineering and technical services firm dedicated to providing standard and custom nondestructive examinations (NDE) products and systems

04:04 Oct-15-2008
james
NDT/UT Cert Transition

I am currently working for a consulting company that is about to start a NDT/UT job. THey will have a company come in and train us while starting the project. Training will consist of 40 hour class time and aprox 600 hours 1:1 with a level 2 tech. At the end of the 600 hour OJT I (to make things simple) will have a limited level 2 certification. I have not received any clarification as to what that actually means at this point. My question is, if I find that this field is not for me what are my options outside of this field with this certification and knowledge?

Thanks

James

01:22 Oct-15-2008

Neslihan Mahmutyazicioglu

Director, - Lecturer and examiner and Level 3 consultant
NONNDT Technical Inspection Traning Qualification Consulting Ltd.,
Turkey,
Joined Jul 2004
Re: NDT/UT Cert Transition ----------- Start Original Message -----------
I'in Ýstanbul-Turkey, If you give us explanation about (for example according to SNT-TC-1A) and I can help you.

Neslihan

I am currently working for a consulting company that is about to start a NDT/UT job. THey will have a company come in and train us while starting the project. Training will consist of 40 hour class time and aprox 600 hours 1:1 with a level 2 tech. At the end of the 600 hour OJT I (to make things simple) will have a limited level 2 certification. I have not received any clarification as to what that actually means at this point. My question is, if I find that this field is not for me what are my options outside of this field with this certification and knowledge?
: Thanks
: James
------------ End Original Message ------------

03:35 Oct-15-2008

ovidiu

NDT Inspector, thermography
ISCIR,
Romania,
Joined Dec 2005
Re: NDT/UT Cert Transition ----------- Start Original Message -----------
That means the certs you'll get are valid only for the employer that issued'em. If you want to work for other employer these certs are not valid, but as hands on experience and traing it counts.

: I'in Ýstanbul-Turkey, If you give us explanation about (for example according to SNT-TC-1A) and I can help you.
: Neslihan
: I am currently working for a consulting company that is about to start a NDT/UT job. THey will have a company come in and train us while starting the project. Training will consist of 40 hour class time and aprox 600 hours 1:1 with a level 2 tech. At the end of the 600 hour OJT I (to make things simple) will have a limited level 2 certification. I have not received any clarification as to what that actually means at this point. My question is, if I find that this field is not for me what are my options outside of this field with this certification and knowledge?
: : Thanks
: : James
------------ End Original Message------------

03:41 Oct-15-2008
james
Re: NDT/UT Cert Transition so the technology used would not be able to help transition to say the health care field?

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: That means the certs you'll get are valid only for the employer that issued'em. If you want to work for other employer these certs are not valid, but as hands on experience and traing it counts.
: : I'in Ýstanbul-Turkey, If you give us explanation about (for example according to SNT-TC-1A) and I can help you.
: : Neslihan
: : I am currently working for a consulting company that is about to start a NDT/UT job. THey will have a company come in and train us while starting the project. Training will consist of 40 hour class time and aprox 600 hours 1:1 with a level 2 tech. At the end of the 600 hour OJT I (to make things simple) will have a limited level 2 certification. I have not received any clarification as to what that actually means at this point. My question is, if I find that this field is not for me what are my options outside of this field with this certification and knowledge?
: : : Thanks
: : : James

06:52 Oct-15-2008

neslihan mahmutyazicioglu

Director, - Lecturer and examiner and Level 3 consultant
NONNDT Technical Inspection Traning Qualification Consulting Ltd.,
Turkey,
Joined Jul 2004
Re: NDT/UT Cert Transition according to New employer's written practice, for example with examination (spesific and practice examination) . Of course with succesfull examination results, new certification is possible----------- Start Original Message -----------
: That means the certs you'll get are valid only for the employer that issued'em. If you want to work for other employer these certs are not valid, but as hands on experience and traing it counts.
: : I'in Ýstanbul-Turkey, If you give us explanation about (for example according to SNT-TC-1A) and I can help you.
: : Neslihan
: : I am currently working for a consulting company that is about to start a NDT/UT job. THey will have a company come in and train us while starting the project. Training will consist of 40 hour class time and aprox 600 hours 1:1 with a level 2 tech. At the end of the 600 hour OJT I (to make things simple) will have a limited level 2 certification. I have not received any clarification as to what that actually means at this point. My question is, if I find that this field is not for me what are my options outside of this field with this certification and knowledge?
: : : Thanks
: : : James

08:28 Oct-15-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: NDT/UT Cert Transition Hi James,

As someone else stated, you give very little information as to what is the training gear to. Someone suggested that it might be ASTN TC-1A, but it is speculation. Even so, the training may not be recognised another employer or agency. I doné,t know where you live, but in Canada, things are getting a little tight as far as who can be recognised by our government to train other technician and it is understandable. You want people to be certified to a standard and this has to be kept under control.

Again, things may be different, but a few years back, I was contemplating going from Industrial Radiography to medical and after inquiry, realise that I still would have tp do the 4 years course at university. Again, I don"t know how old you are, but in my case, a little too old for this kind on endeavor.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck.

Cheerio's
Michel

: according to New employer's written practice, for example with examination (spesific and practice examination) . Of course with succesfull examination results, new certification is possible----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : That means the certs you'll get are valid only for the employer that issued'em. If you want to work for other employer these certs are not valid, but as hands on experience and traing it counts.
: : : I'in Ýstanbul-Turkey, If you give us explanation about (for example according to SNT-TC-1A) and I can help you.
: : : Neslihan
: : : I am currently working for a consulting company that is about to start a NDT/UT job. THey will have a company come in and train us while starting the project. Training will consist of 40 hour class time and aprox 600 hours 1:1 with a level 2 tech. At the end of the 600 hour OJT I (to make things simple) will have a limited level 2 certification. I have not received any clarification as to what that actually means at this point. My question is, if I find that this field is not for me what are my optionsoutside of this field with this certification and knowledge?
: : : : Thanks
: : : : James

08:47 Oct-15-2008

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: NDT/UT Cert Transition Pretty sure that 'health care inspectors' are regulated most places.

Training and certification requirements make NDT certification seem easy, that said, some Doctors get paid more than even phased array techs. Even training for basic medical radiography takes years.

Not sure your Level-II employer certification will take you very far down that road...

But good luck anyway.

Joe

: so the technology used would not be able to help transition to say the health care field?
: : That means the certs you'll get are valid only for the employer that issued'em. If you want to work for other employer these certs are not valid, but as hands on experience and traing it counts.
: : : I'in Ýstanbul-Turkey, If you give us explanation about (for example according to SNT-TC-1A) and I can help you.
: : : Neslihan
: : : I am currently working for a consulting company that is about to start a NDT/UT job. THey will have a company come in and train us while starting the project. Training will consist of 40 hour class time and aprox 600 hours 1:1 with a level 2 tech. At the end of the 600 hour OJT I (to make things simple) will have a limited level 2 certification. I have not received any clarification as to what that actually means at this point. My question is, if I find that this field is not for me what are my options outside of this field with this certification and knowledge?
: : : : Thanks
: : : : James

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|