where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Carbon Composite Calibration block
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

04:59 Nov-25-2008

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Carbon Composite Calibration block

Hi,
I am looking for a source of Carbon Composite Thickness calibration blocks or step wedges.
Who markets these? Who manufactures them?

Godfrey

07:37 Nov-25-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: Carbon Composite Calibration block Hi Godfrey,

I don't know what is your application, but when I was working on F18 aircraft, McDonald Douglas had their own supplier and was providing us directly with what we needed.

Maybe you could work with your client and come up with something that would be satisfactory to all.

Also, I don't normally advertise for manufacturers (Try to stay neutral), but Curtis Industries Inc, in Kittanning, Pensylvania, USA may be able to help. Again they are fabricating a wide variaty of Calibration pieces. Not sure about composite, but it's worth a try.

Cheerio's

Michel
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi,
: I am looking for a source of Carbon Composite Thickness calibration blocks or step wedges.
: Who markets these? Who manufactures them?
: Godfrey
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:54 Nov-25-2008
Simon
Re: Carbon Composite Calibration block ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am looking for a source of Carbon Composite Thickness calibration blocks or step wedges.

You can try NDT Engg Corporation or PH Tools USA for these blocks. I will give you the complete address by tomorrow. I did get some quote from them for CFRP Step Wedges, CFRP Laminates and Honeycomb Debond Standard

Simon

01:26 Nov-25-2008

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Carbon Composite Calibration block NDT Engineering used to supply these and, I believe, used to make them for a lot of the aircraft companies.

Now they are part of Olympus I don't have anything to do with them, But assuming its the same people making them they should be worth trying.

Joe

05:20 Nov-26-2008

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Carbon Composite Calibration block Pardon me for asking this dumb question, but why not get it made locally? A good machine shop or tool room should be able to machine them and once you know their thickness, you can set the velocity and thus use them as calibration blocks.

Am I missing something?

Regards.

Swamy

: Hi Godfrey,
: I don't know what is your application, but when I was working on F18 aircraft, McDonald Douglas had their own supplier and was providing us directly with what we needed.
: Maybe you could work with your client and come up with something that would be satisfactory to all.
: Also, I don't normally advertise for manufacturers (Try to stay neutral), but Curtis Industries Inc, in Kittanning, Pensylvania, USA may be able to help. Again they are fabricating a wide variaty of Calibration pieces. Not sure about composite, but it's worth a try.
: Cheerio's
: Michel
: : Hi,
: : I am looking for a source of Carbon Composite Thickness calibration blocks or step wedges.
: : Who markets these? Who manufactures them?
: : Godfrey

04:24 Nov-26-2008

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Carbon Composite Calibration block ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Pardon me for asking this dumb question, but why not get it made locally? A good machine shop or tool room should be able to machine them and once you know their thickness, you can set the velocity and thus use them as calibration blocks.
: Am I missing something?
: Regards.
: Swamy
: : Hi Godfrey,
: : I don't know what is your application, but when I was working on F18 aircraft, McDonald Douglas had their own supplier and was providing us directly with what we needed.
: : Maybe you could work with your client and come up with something that would be satisfactory to all.
: : Also, I don't normally advertise for manufacturers (Try to stay neutral), but Curtis Industries Inc, in Kittanning, Pensylvania, USA may be able to help. Again they are fabricating a wide variaty of Calibration pieces. Not sure about composite, but it's worth a try.
: : Cheerio's
: : Michel
: : : Hi,
: : : I am looking for a source of Carbon CompositeThickness calibration blocks or step wedges.
: : : Who markets these? Who manufactures them?
: : : Godfrey

It would be important to furnish pieces of the actual material to be tested, especially since composites vary so much. A machine shop theat is very good with metals might have difficulties such as meeting dimensional tolerances working with composites. Then there is the question of how tight these tolerances are required to be and whether the dimensional measurement must be traceable to NIST or some other recognized organization. Making sure of what the customer requires should be the first step.

John Brunk

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|