where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
high temperature ultrasonics materials characterisation
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:57 Nov-06-2000

Dr.Rajendran

R & D
MEPCO SCHLENK ENGINEERING COLLEGE,
India,
Joined Nov 2000
high temperature ultrasonics materials characterisation

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to know the details of the high temperature experimental setup for ultrasonics materials characterisation.

06:23 Nov-06-2000

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: high temperature ultrasonics materials characterisation :
: Dear Colleagues,

: I would like to know the details of the high temperature experimental setup for ultrasonics materials characterisation.

What is the temperature range over which you wish to work, what types of material are you testing, and what properties do you wish to examine? The answers to those questions will determine what equipment and techniques are appropriate.

You can find a basic introduction to ultrasonic material analysis on the Panametrics web site at:
www.panametrics.com/div_ndt/pages/theory/material.shtml

--Tom Nelligan

01:01 Nov-06-2000
M. Kim Johnson
Re: high temperature ultrasonics materials characterisation : :
: : Dear Colleagues,

: : I would like to know the details of the high temperature experimental setup for ultrasonics materials characterisation.

You may wish to consider Resonant Ultrasound Spectroscopy for this application. It has been used succesfully for material characterization up to about 1800° C, although the accuracy decreases as the temperature increases. Please check the web site (http://www.quasarintl.com/ruspec/ruspec.html. We do not build high temperature fixtures, but can provide a description of how to do so or put you in tough with someone who gas built one.

M. Kim Johnson

03:40 Nov-07-2000
Marvin Klein
Re: high temperature ultrasonics materials characterisation :

: I would like to know the details of the high temperature experimental setup for ultrasonics materials characterisation.

If you are working at very high temperatures, laser ultrasonics allows characterization without contacting the sample. One good reference is "Laser Ultrasonics" by C. Scruby and L. Drain. You will also find some useful information on the Lasson web site (www.lasson.com).

Marvin Klein

00:52 Nov-07-2000

Jan Verkooijen

Director,
Sonovation,
Netherlands,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: high temperature ultrasonics materials characterisation You might be interested to know, that we have just completed a program of work
for detection and sizing of defects in welds at high temperature.
The highest temperature at which we performed an inspection was 400 degrees C
during the actual sitework. The process was fully validated on forehand up
to temperatures of 450 degrees C.
Thicknesses of the material varied from some 100 mm carbon steel to around 220 mm
in various configurations.

We will be placing some results on our website (www.sonovation.com) shortly.

Jan Verkooijen

:

01:25 Nov-07-2000

Dr.V.RAJENDRAN

R & D
India,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: high temperature ultrasonics materials characterisation : You might be interested to know, that we have just completed a program of work
: for detection and sizing of defects in welds at high temperature.
: The highest temperature at which we performed an inspection was 400 degrees C
: during the actual sitework. The process was fully validated on forehand up
: to temperatures of 450 degrees C.
: Thicknesses of the material varied from some 100 mm carbon steel to around 220 mm
: in various configurations.

: We will be placing some results on our website (www.sonovation.com) shortly.

: Jan Verkooijen

: :

: : I would like to know the details of the high temperature experimental setup for ultrasonics materials characterisation.

01:27 Nov-07-2000

Dr. V. RAJENDRAN

R & D
India,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: high temperature ultrasonics materials characterisation : :

: If you are working at very high temperatures, laser ultrasonics allows characterization without contacting the sample. One good reference is "Laser Ultrasonics" by C. Scruby and L. Drain. You will also find some useful information on the Lasson web site (www.lasson.com).

: Marvin Klein

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|