where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Field Mouse Manual Scanner
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:42 Nov-09-2000
Bryan Forth
Field Mouse Manual Scanner

Is anybody aware of a manufacturer of a product called a "Field Mouse Manual Scanner", for use mainly with an Ultrasonic transducer.

08:09 Nov-09-2000

Thomas Murphy

NDT Inspector
USA,
Joined Jul 2000
Re: Field Mouse Manual Scanner You may contact AMDATA in Conneticut, USA

: Is anybody aware of a manufacturer of a product called a "Field Mouse Manual Scanner", for use mainly with an Ultrasonic transducer.

09:15 Nov-10-2000
Guido Crapels
Re: Field Mouse Manual Scanner : Is anybody aware of a manufacturer of a product called a "Field Mouse Manual Scanner", for use mainly with an Ultrasonic transducer.

Yes ! please take a look at:
http://www.ais4ndt.com/scanner/mouse.htm

04:36 Nov-10-2000
Randy Plis
Re: Field Mouse Manual Scanner : You may contact AMDATA in Conneticut, USA

: : Is anybody aware of a manufacturer of a product called a "Field Mouse Manual Scanner", for use mainly with an Ultrasonic transducer.

The Field Mouse Manual Scanner is a product of AMDATA IntraSpect technology designed and manufactured by Westinghouse NDE Products, formerly known as ABB AMDATA. ABB sold its nuclear business early this year to BNFL/Westinghouse, and AMDATA was part of the transfer.

As our NDT.net exhibitor page has not yet been updated, please note that the following home page now exists for AMDATA IntraSpect products:
www.amdata-technologies.com

A photograph of the Field Mouse shown on a pipe can be found at that location under Manual Scanners. Thanks.

Cheers,
Randy Plis
Windsor, CT (USA)
+1-860-285-3545

07:30 Nov-16-2000
Wolfgang Bisle
Re: Field Mouse Manual Scanner Concerning Mouse-type scanners:
You all may knowabout the optical mouse from microsoft and about the similar logitech mouse: My question is: Has anybody tried to combine this mouse with a transducer (ET or UT).
Some years ago I realized a steppermotor scannersystem which followedthe motion of the connected computer mouse - nota big deal in a DOS Environment.
As I looked throuh the DLL used for mouse motion it should be possible to add a module to read out a digitizer and to position a color doton a CRT. even it should be possible to readout the video ram lateron to use the data for processing and storeage.
Such a system could be an easy manual scanning machine.
As my time in our company is now very limited I have no time left to do such experiments.
But maybe there is somebody out in the world of NDT who tried to realize this idea?
Or is there a mistake in my idea?

09:20 Nov-17-2000

Rymantas Kazys

Director, - -
Kaunas University of Technology,
Lithuania,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Field Mouse Manual Scanner : Concerning Mouse-type scanners:
: You all may knowabout the optical mouse from microsoft and about the similar logitech mouse: My question is: Has anybody tried to combine this mouse with a transducer (ET or UT).
: Some years ago I realized a steppermotor scannersystem which followedthe motion of the connected computer mouse - nota big deal in a DOS Environment.
: As I looked throuh the DLL used for mouse motion it should be possible to add a module to read out a digitizer and to position a color doton a CRT. even it should be possible to readout the video ram lateron to use the data for processing and storeage.
: Such a system could be an easy manual scanning machine.
: As my time in our company is now very limited I have no time left to do such experiments.
: But maybe there is somebody out in the world of NDT who tried to realize this idea?
We have developed and implemented manually driven 'mouse'type scanner 10 years ago in the Ignalina nulcear power plant, Lithuania. It is handy system consisting of a smart "ratt" (due to size we could not call it "mouse", besides, it is much more rigid) type two coordinate scanner and a microprocessor - based electonic unit intended for NDT applications in industrial conditions. The scanner is driven manually by an operator. The inspection data are collected by light-weight completely digital electronic unit help by shoulder strap. The conventional computer mouse is not suitable for this purpose, because it sliding in the greasy and dirty surface of the object under atest. You can see how such a scanner looks in our home page.
URL: http://www.ultrasonics.ktu.lt/
alt: http://193.219.61.10/ultrasound/

Best regards,

Rymantas Kazys
Ultrasound Institute,
Kaunas Univesrity of Technology, Lithuania

: Or is there a mistake in my idea?

02:54 Nov-17-2000
Richard Kazares
Re: Field Mouse Manual Scanner Physical Acoustics is working on several different technologies (including the optical mouse) to accomplish this highly desired result.

We will announce our findings shortely - but in this case, technology has finally caught up with need.

01:48 Dec-08-2000
Wolfgang Bisle
Re: Field Mouse Manual Scanner Let me answer:
What I mean is: You take the optical mouse, which normally don't slip, as it compares the pattern of the roughness of the surface to determine the movement. So there is no mechanical contact, which can get lost because of a slippery ball inside the mouse.

And you mount a transducer, in this case it would fit best for EC-testing, in front of the mouse so you have a simple and low cost manual scanner. This is nothing for accurate documentation, if you have to have to a precise C-scan. But in case of a lower level of documentation efford, it would help searching. It is also nothing for remote testing but more to help manual inspections on a low profile.

The realization in a Windows environment should not be that big deal as you need only a relatively slow data aquisition rate....

So - it was not a crawler I was thinking of but a reliable method to get a position
- non contact
- with extremely low cost.

08:55 Dec-12-2000

Martin Lugg

Consultant,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: Field Mouse Manual Scanner : Concerning Mouse-type scanners:
: You all may knowabout the optical mouse from microsoft and about the similar logitech mouse: My question is: Has anybody tried to combine this mouse with a transducer (ET or UT).

Yes, we have recently used bits from such mice in ACFM array probes with good success. You have to keep stand-off quite small (but not as small as a roller ball). We have also found that it dosesn't work very well on a newly painted matt black surface (unfortunately this was one of those we needed to inspect!).

We tried buying the optical components separately, but could only get minimum order quantities of 10,000 or so. Since we only need 2 or 3 at present, we therefore have to carry on destroying perfectly good mice.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|