where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Velocity equation of cylindrical wave
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

IDEKO S.Coop
We provide Precision, Quality, Reliability and Productivity in manufacturing processes among our knowledge of Inspection and measurement technologies

03:52 Dec-17-2000

Riichi Murayama

Teacher, Professor
Fukuoka institute of technology,
Japan,
Joined May 2000
Velocity equation of cylindrical wave

Dear colleags,
Does anyone have any information on the velocity equations of
a cylindrical wave? I'm planning to research a cylyndrical wave using EMAT technique. If you would teach me any information about it, I would appreciate it.
Regards,
Riichi Murayama

00:33 Dec-18-2000

Jim Barshinger

Engineering
General Electric Global Research Center,
USA,
Joined Aug 2000
Re: Velocity equation of cylindrical wave The velocity equation can be developed from Navier's equation of motion performing the vector operations in cylindrical coordinates. You can reduce the equation into four uncoupled wave equations that are forms of Bessel's equation. Then you have to apply the appropriate boundary conditions. There are a number of references that address this. I would recommend the book "Wave motion in elastic solids" by Karl F. Graff as a starting point. It is currently published as a paperback by Dover books and is very inexpensive. Amazon.com should have it. You should also be able to find papers that address this type of problem, check the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, and also IEEE transactions on ultrasonics ferroelectrics and frequency control.

Best Regards,
Jim

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|