where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Mechanical Cleaning Prior To Magnetic Particle Inspection
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:13 Dec-20-2000
Brian Younce
Mechanical Cleaning Prior To Magnetic Particle Inspection

NDT Folks,
I am wondering if anyone has information regarding mechanical cleaning prior to magnetic particle inspection. The specific application would be removing heat treat scale prior to magnetic particle inspection. One method that we are considering is a glass media blast. My concerns would be metal smearing or discontinuity contamination.
I would like to hear of any specific practices which some of you may use for this same type of application. Thank you in advance for any help.
Regards,
Brian

06:16 Dec-20-2000
Dave Ronson
Re: Mechanical Cleaning Prior To Magnetic Particle Inspection : NDT Folks,
: I am wondering if anyone has information regarding mechanical cleaning prior to magnetic particle inspection. The specific application would be removing heat treat scale prior to magnetic particle inspection. One method that we are considering is a glass media blast. My concerns would be metal smearing or discontinuity contamination.
: I would like to hear of any specific practices which some of you may use for this same type of application. Thank you in advance for any help.
: Regards,
: Brian

I would suggest you try using a chemical such as Ardrox 185 used with Ardrox 188 a high alkaline type product which is made for steel components to remove heat scale. Unfortnatlry, you will have to heat both products to around 180 degrees F. It is not a feild application.

06:39 Dec-20-2000

Tom Murphy

NDT Inspector
USA,
Joined Jul 2000
Re: Mechanical Cleaning Prior To Magnetic Particle Inspection We commonly use glass bead blasting. We perform MT
inspection of steam turbine components after a period
of service. They have heat scale after they have run
for awhile. Our procedure requires that the glass
shot should be of a high grade crown glass of the
soda lime type with silica content >62%. It also
recommends a spherical shape and bead diameters of
0.006 inches to 0.010 inches in diameter. The beads
are not to be reused.

Regards,
Tom

: NDT Folks,
: I am wondering if anyone has information regarding mechanical cleaning prior to magnetic particle inspection. The specific application would be removing heat treat scale prior to magnetic particle inspection. One method that we are considering is a glass media blast. My concerns would be metal smearing or discontinuity contamination.
: I would like to hear of any specific practices which some of you may use for this same type of application. Thank you in advance for any help.

01:50 Dec-20-2000
Barry J Gordon
Re: Mechanical Cleaning Prior To Magnetic Particle Inspection : NDT Folks,

Brian,

In circumstances where we don't want discontinuity contamination such as turbine blades we use bicarb soda blasting. It is very gentle on the parent material but will still remove a strong build up of scale and has the added advantage of being environmentally friendly.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|