where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
100%accurate bolt tensioning system?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

ACS-Solutions GmbH
develop and manufacture hi-tech devices for Ultrasonic Testing

06:49 Jan-11-2001
Angus Sutherland
100%accurate bolt tensioning system?

Hi,

I have a problem with tensioning some 5/8"UNC bolts. Essentially they need to tightened really accurately. I have done a bit of background research and several options have opened up incl DTI Smartbolts, Strain guages etc etc. However, someone mentioned to me that a new technology is available out of Detroit that can a)be fitted under head b) very accurate c) tells you how much tension is in it by feel?

Does anyone out there have any further info on this subject?

Cheers
Angus

08:26 Jan-11-2001

V K Dilip

Consultant
Industrial Support Services,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Jan 2001
Re: 100%accurate bolt tensioning system? What equipment you should use depends on how accurate or reliablle you want to be. The most accurate (in my view) is to use a bolt tensioning device where a measured tension is diectly applied on the bolt/stud etc. Torque wrenches are very widely used as a substitute for "accurate" tensioning.
Dilip
: Hi,

: I have a problem with tensioning some 5/8"UNC bolts. Essentially they need to tightened really accurately. I have done a bit of background research and several options have opened up incl DTI Smartbolts, Strain guages etc etc. However, someone mentioned to me that a new technology is available out of Detroit that can a)be fitted under head b) very accurate c) tells you how much tension is in it by feel?

: Does anyone out there have any further info on this subject?

: Cheers
: Angus

09:50 Jan-11-2001

Peter Toebben

Consultant
Germany,
Joined May 2000
Re: 100%accurate bolt tensioning system? Dear Angus,

We are the leading company for bolt stress measurement using ultrasonic technology.
Our product BoltMike SM II is used for bolt stress measurement with highest accuracy. We measure the elongation of the bolt ultrasonically and calculate force and stress based on various material parameter.
For more information about the concept and the products please visit our homepage www.stresstel.com

Rgds
Peter Toebben
Sales Manager Europe
Tel.: +49 2203 988336
Fax.: + 49 2203 988485
E-Mail: ptoebben@aol.com
www.stresstel.de

: I have a problem with tensioning some 5/8"UNC bolts. Essentially they need to tightened really accurately. I have done a bit of background research and several options have opened up incl DTI Smartbolts, Strain guages etc etc. However, someone mentioned to me that a new technology is available out of Detroit that can a)be fitted under head b) very accurate c) tells you how much tension is in it by feel?

04:30 Jan-12-2001
Gordon E. Smith
Re: 100%accurate bolt tensioning system?

00:36 Jan-15-2001
Wolfgang Bisle
Re: 100%accurate bolt tensioning system? We have used several times sucessfully - in full scale testrigs for aeronautical structures - the Ultrafast System.
Look for: http://www.ultrafast.com/
An connected company is Ultracoat, which manufactures the bolts with the smart sensors to use the Ultrafast system http://www.ultracoat.de or ultracoat@ultracoat.de

01:00 Feb-26-2001
Geoffrey Rowe
Re: 100%accurate bolt tensioning system? Angus,
You might want to look at a new technology that NASA used on Space Station. The instrument is built into a full featured laptop computer. If this link, http://arvc.com/SureBolt.htm , does not work, type in "SureBolt" into the Google.com search engine. See the animated demo to see how this ultrasonic technology works ( http://arvc.com/see_animation.htm ).

Let me know if this may work for you.

Geoff
American Remote Vision Corporation

00:15 Feb-27-2001
Steve Jackson
Re: 100%accurate bolt tensioning system? : Hi,

Hydratight Sweeney the worlds leader in bolting equipment offers the scan sense washer. This washer is fitter between the nut and the face of the flange and gives an accurate read out of actaul bolt load.

Unless the bolt is long it may be impossible to obtain required load using a tensioning defice due to load loss. it may be better to use a torque defice, i am inpartial on this matter as we manufactuer both.

Please call me for further info and i will put you in contact with someone that will be able to show you the products.

USA 713 475 1029

00:18 Feb-27-2001
Steve Jackson
Re: 100%accurate bolt tensioning system? : Hi,

Sorry i forgot to tell you to check out www.boltup.com

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|