where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT Ethics
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:53 Jun-25-1998

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
NDT Ethics

Rolf deleted a message because I believe he thought it poor taste. I agree that posting a message shrugging of the deaths of so many people with cynical comments is in bad taste and to do nothing is unethical. I also agree with some of the message writers that some of the wording of messages has been unconstructive having a poor balance between adjectives and facts however I agree with this forums intent which is to try and provide information to all interested of ongoing NDT topics. I only have the ASNT code of ethics for NDT but of note are the following portions:

3. RESPONSIBILITY TO THE PUBLIC
Protect the safety, health, and welfare of the public in the performance of professional duties. Should the case arise where the NDT Level III faces a situation where the safety. Health and welfare of the public are not protected, he/she shall:

3.1.1 Apprise the proper authority if it is evident that the safety, health, and welfare of the public are not being protected

4. PUBLIC STATEMENTS

4.2 The NDT Level III will publicly express no opinion on a NDT matter unless it is founded upon adequate knowledge of the facts in issue, upon a background of technical competence in the subject matter and, upon honest conviction of the accuracy and propriety of the testimony.

I am not an ASNT NDT person but the ethics are to my liking, many countries have their own NDT society or accreditation schemes with their own codes of ethics similar to the above. Although some may disagree with the public nature of the discussions as long as basic ethics are followed good information can be obtained from free discussions. I hate seeing people "re-invent the wheel" this forum have allowed experts dealing in this matter to see what experts in other countries are doing to solve the same problem.

05:14 Jun-28-1998

Rolf Diederichs

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: NDT Ethics : 4.2 The NDT Level III will publicly express no opinion on a NDT matter unless it is founded upon adequate knowledge of the facts in issue, upon a background of technical competence in the subject matter and, upon honest conviction of the accuracy and propriety of the testimony.

: I am not an ASNT NDT person but the ethics are to my liking, many countries have their own NDT society or accreditation schemes with their own codes of ethics similar to the above. Although some may disagree with the public nature of the discussions as long as basic ethics are followed good information can be obtained from free discussions. I hate seeing people "re-invent the wheel" this forum have allowed experts dealing in this matter to see what experts in other countries are doing to solve the same problem.

Michael Trinidad quoted in his message the ASNT code of ethics for NDT.

Unfortunately such Society paper is only a hypocrisy,
but seriously not followed, especially not by the society staff.

You may remember that we discussed already ethics on this forum:
'ASNT Policies taken to Extemes -
http://www.ndt.net/wshop/forum/messages/65.htm'

Ethics of NDT Socities in general?
This Internet site works (so far survived) under this policies already 3 Years.
However this is our business and as long we are working on it we don't want to
bring it up to a public discussion.

Our goal is to continue this professional online information without
censorship, neither from societies, government or industry sponsors!

Best regards

Rolf Diederichs

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|