where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Micro-surfaces
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Vidisco Ltd.
Vidisco Ltd. is the leading designer and manufacturer of state-of-the-art Digital Radiography systems.

03:47 Feb-15-2001
Amy Quinn
Micro-surfaces

Hello, I am doing investigation into the scatter of ultrasound at high frequencies. I need to be able to create "known" regular surfaces on a small scale, for example a micro-pyramidal surface with each pyramid having a base 1 micron by 1 micron. Or maybe a sinusoidal surface - anything so long as it is regular and has features of the order 1-10 microns. I am totally drawing a blank on any companies which might be able to create such surfaces and wondered if any of you could help.

Thanks a lot

Amy Quinn

03:59 Feb-15-2001
Wieslaw Bicz
Re: Micro-surfaces : Hello, I am doing investigation into the scatter of ultrasound at high frequencies. I need to be able to create "known" regular surfaces on a small scale, for example a micro-pyramidal surface with each pyramid having a base 1 micron by 1 micron. Or maybe a sinusoidal surface - anything so long as it is regular and has features of the order 1-10 microns. I am totally drawing a blank on any companies which might be able to create such surfaces and wondered if any of you could help.
: Thanks a lot
: Amy Quinn
You should try to make phase hologramms (with mudulation on the surface) - this should fulfill your requirements.

04:34 Feb-20-2001

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Micro-surfaces : Hello, I am doing investigation into the scatter of ultrasound at high frequencies. I need to be able to create "known" regular surfaces on a small scale, for example a micro-pyramidal surface with each pyramid having a base 1 micron by 1 micron. Or maybe a sinusoidal surface - anything so long as it is regular and has features of the order 1-10 microns. I am totally drawing a blank on any companies which might be able to create such surfaces and wondered if any of you could help.
: Thanks a lot
: Amy Quinn
I did reply to Amy Quinn's query to her e-mail. sorry about that because on that day i couldn't access internet. i suggested 3 or 4 alternatives, like making a microhardness indentation, using a densely sintered metallic material which will have a few pores etc. i am waiting for her reaction.

06:11 Feb-20-2001

Yoseph Bar-Cohen

R & D,
Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL),
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Micro-surfaces Amy,

Making shapes and structures in the size of microns is
part of the field of micro-electro-mechanical systesm (MEMS).
In order to find an organization that can help you making
the desired features you may want to send an e-mail to the MEMS
Newsgroup at MEMS@ISI.EDU

Yosi
: : Hello, I am doing investigation into the scatter of ultrasound at high frequencies. I need to be able to create "known" regular surfaces on a small scale, for example a micro-pyramidal surface with each pyramid having a base 1 micron by 1 micron. Or maybe a sinusoidal surface - anything so long as it is regular and has features of the order 1-10 microns. I am totally drawing a blank on any companies which might be able to create such surfaces and wondered if any of you could help.
: .
: : Thanks a lot
: : Amy Quinn
: I did reply to Amy Quinn's query to her e-mail. sorry about that because on that day i couldn't access internet. i suggested 3 or 4 alternatives, like making a microhardnessindentation, using a densely sintered metallic material which will have a few pores etc. i am waiting for her reaction.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|