where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
LASER ULTRASONICS
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Phoenix Inspection Systems Limited
Design and manufacture ultrasonic Transducers, Scanners and Custom Solutions for NDT inspections. Innovators in NDT technology

05:30 Feb-23-2001
Jose Capmany
LASER ULTRASONICS

Dear Colleagues,

I am working of a laser ultrasonic system for the detection of porosity and cracks in the tile industry. Tiles are manufactured by cooking green ceramics, but before the pieces are introduced into the oven (i.e when they are still "fresh)it is convenient to exam them. In this case, laser ultrasonics appears to be a good alternative.
Most of the laser ultrasonics NDT material that I have read is related to metals, and I would like to know if there is any source where I can find information rgerading the testing of ceramics

Thanks in advance.

04:01 Feb-23-2001
Wieslaw Bicz
Re: LASER ULTRASONICS : Dear Colleagues,
: I am working of a laser ultrasonic system for the detection of porosity and cracks in the tile industry. Tiles are manufactured by cooking green ceramics, but before the pieces are introduced into the oven (i.e when they are still "fresh)it is convenient to exam them. In this case, laser ultrasonics appears to be a good alternative.
: Most of the laser ultrasonics NDT material that I have read is related to metals, and I would like to know if there is any source where I can find information rgerading the testing of ceramics
: Thanks in advance.
Have you considered the possibility to use air ultrasound for this purpose. It seems for me, that this could be cheaper and may be even better for your purpose.
We have some experience with testing wooden products with air ultrasound (have made electronics and transducers for this purpose) and I think, that this would be an alternative.
I can imagine, that it would be possible to make a kind of scanner that would test each pile automatically. Cracks and changes in material properties could be detected easily.
Resolution could be enough for this purpose.

07:18 Feb-23-2001
Mahesh C. Bhardwaj
Re: LASER ULTRASONICS Relative to non-contact ultrasonic evaluation of green tiles or other ceramics, see: www.secondwavesystems.com

You can very easily characterize velocity, thickness, attenuation, defects, etc. in green materials with our non-contact transducers and the NCA 1000 analyzer.

Green materials analysis by non-contact ultrasound is now state of the art.

Mahesh C. Bhardwaj, Director R&D
SecondWave Systems
1020 E. Boal Avenue
Boalsburg, PA 16827 USA

phone: 814.466.6200
fax: 814.466.6847
email: Mcbhardwaj@aol.com

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|