where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Inslulation Fault Detector?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

AMDATA Products (WesDyne)
AMDATA is an engineering and technical services firm dedicated to providing standard and custom nondestructive examinations (NDE) products and systems

08:37 Feb-26-2001
Dipl. Eng. Murat ERBAS
Inslulation Fault Detector?

Does anybody know "Inslutaion Fault Detection Method" for lighting and motor circuits NDT method?

As far as I know, before burning motor stator coil, resistance of insulation started to decrease. during burning, it become zero = short circuit.

We have MEGGER for measurement of cable resistance, but dows anybody now something easy and cost effective way for it?

I have 50 motors at the factory. Nominal current around 16 Ampers.

best regards.

02:58 Feb-26-2001

Thomas Murphy

NDT Inspector
USA,
Joined Jul 2000
Re: Inslulation Fault Detector? To whom it may concern,

There is a method used in my organization to trend motor and generator insulation health. This technology, as stated, is a trending method which will give indications of insulation deterioration by means of measuring Partial Discharge (PD)activity in the motor/generator winding. The technology works most effectively on machines with ratings at or above 6kV. For more information, please contact myself or Dan Leonard, Technical Leader of Electro-Mechanical Testing on (518) 385-0165. Daniel.Leonard@ps.ge.com

: Does anybody know "Inslutaion Fault Detection Method" for lighting and motor circuits NDT method?
: As far as I know, before burning motor stator coil, resistance of insulation started to decrease. during burning, it become zero = short circuit.
: We have MEGGER for measurement of cable resistance, but dows anybody now something easy and cost effective way for it?
: I have 50 motors at the factory. Nominal current around 16 Ampers.
: best regards.

00:05 Feb-28-2001

S.V.SWAMY

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Inslulation Fault Detector? Please try Thermography since before the motor actually burns, as you
rightly say the insulation resistance starts decreasing, which could result
in local temperature changes, and these changes should result in hot or
cold spots (temperature changes).

Sorry that I am not able to post this reply in the forum due to limited
access to internet. I hope Mr.Rolf does not mind.

Swamy

: Does anybody know "Inslutaion Fault Detection Method" for lighting and motor circuits NDT method?
: As far as I know, before burning motor stator coil, resistance of insulation started to decrease. during burning, it become zero = short circuit.
: We have MEGGER for measurement of cable resistance, but dows anybody now something easy and cost effective way for it?
: I have 50 motors at the factory. Nominal current around 16 Ampers.
: best regards.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|