where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Dipl. Eng. Murat ERBAS
Dipl. Eng. Murat ERBAS
08:37 Feb-26-2001
Inslulation Fault Detector?

Does anybody know "Inslutaion Fault Detection Method" for lighting and motor circuits NDT method?

As far as I know, before burning motor stator coil, resistance of insulation started to decrease. during burning, it become zero = short circuit.

We have MEGGER for measurement of cable resistance, but dows anybody now something easy and cost effective way for it?

I have 50 motors at the factory. Nominal current around 16 Ampers.

best regards.

Thomas Murphy
NDT Inspector
USA, Joined Jul 2000, 16

Thomas Murphy

NDT Inspector
USA,
Joined Jul 2000
02:58 Feb-26-2001
Re: Inslulation Fault Detector?
To whom it may concern,

There is a method used in my organization to trend motor and generator insulation health. This technology, as stated, is a trending method which will give indications of insulation deterioration by means of measuring Partial Discharge (PD)activity in the motor/generator winding. The technology works most effectively on machines with ratings at or above 6kV. For more information, please contact myself or Dan Leonard, Technical Leader of Electro-Mechanical Testing on (518) 385-0165. Daniel.Leonard@ps.ge.com

: Does anybody know "Inslutaion Fault Detection Method" for lighting and motor circuits NDT method?
: As far as I know, before burning motor stator coil, resistance of insulation started to decrease. during burning, it become zero = short circuit.
: We have MEGGER for measurement of cable resistance, but dows anybody now something easy and cost effective way for it?
: I have 50 motors at the factory. Nominal current around 16 Ampers.
: best regards.

S.V.SWAMY
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.SWAMY

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
00:05 Feb-28-2001
Re: Inslulation Fault Detector?
Please try Thermography since before the motor actually burns, as you
rightly say the insulation resistance starts decreasing, which could result
in local temperature changes, and these changes should result in hot or
cold spots (temperature changes).

Sorry that I am not able to post this reply in the forum due to limited
access to internet. I hope Mr.Rolf does not mind.

Swamy

: Does anybody know "Inslutaion Fault Detection Method" for lighting and motor circuits NDT method?
: As far as I know, before burning motor stator coil, resistance of insulation started to decrease. during burning, it become zero = short circuit.
: We have MEGGER for measurement of cable resistance, but dows anybody now something easy and cost effective way for it?
: I have 50 motors at the factory. Nominal current around 16 Ampers.
: best regards.

Product Spotlight

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

Exertus Dual 120

The Exertus Dual 120 Projector has the ability to accept Iridium 192 sources or Selenium 75 source
s. This projector incorporates design and safety features that make it flexible, compact and lightweight. The Projector is lighter than most of its competitors. It incorporates an improved source channel, based on a new helicoidal design, which makes maintenance easier. The helicoidal design also allows smoother movement of the source assembly inside the device, making it easier for the operator and improving safety. The Projector also has a unique safety feature not found in competitive products. The source assembly locking mechanism is triggered by the source holder capsule at the front of the source assembly, thereby always assuring the operator that the source has returned to the safe position. The Exertus Dual 120 is ISO3999:2004 compliant.
>

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window