where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Crack detection in thin wall exhaust tubing
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:35 Jul-02-1998
Terry Martin
Crack detection in thin wall exhaust tubing

We are currently researching the possibility of detecting weld cracks in stainless steel exhaust tubing during the manufacturing process using ultrasonics. How small of a crack can be detected using this method and where can I get a list of North American vendors.

08:01 Jul-02-1998

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Crack detection in thin wall exhaust tubing
: We are currently researching the possibility of detecting weld cracks in stainless steel exhaust tubing during the manufacturing process using ultrasonics. How small of a crack can be detected using this method and where can I get a list of North American vendors.

The general answer to your question is that ultrasonic inspection can potentially detect cracks in metal tubing as small as a small fraction of a millimeter in depth. In each specific application, however, resolution will be determined by material and geometry related factors that in this case would include the shape and size of any weld bead present at the inspection point, and the amount of sound scattering from grain structure in the weld. Inspection throughput rate requirements must also be considered if this is to be an in-process test. Resolution limits in a specific test situation would be established through tests of reference samples containing typical defects of various sizes.

We are one of a number of North American manufacturers of ultrasonic NDT equipment. I'm sure you'll hear from some of the others too!

--Tom Nelligan
Senior Applications Engineer
Panametrics, Inc.
http://www.panametrics.com/ndt/

02:08 Dec-19-1998
Paul Leeder
Re: Crack detection in thin wall exhaust tubing : We are currently researching the possibility of detecting weld cracks in stainless steel exhaust tubing during the manufacturing process using ultrasonics. How small of a crack can be detected using this method and where can I get a list of North American vendors.

02:18 Dec-19-1998
Paul J. Leeder
Re: Crack detection in thin wall exhaust tubing : My company Leeder and Associates, located in Illinois, represents an Ultrasonic and Eddy Current manufacturer. I would be happy to provide anyone with any technical information needed on the inspection of cracks in their tubing. Office phone:(815)389-2079

09:07 Jul-14-2002
Rainer Peitz
Re: Crack detection in thin wall exhaust tubing : We are currently researching the possibility of detecting weld cracks in stainless steel exhaust tubing during the manufacturing process using ultrasonics. How small of a crack can be detected using this method and where can I get a list of North American vendors.
Have a look at QASS.net.

00:35 Jul-14-2002

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
Re: Crack detection in thin wall exhaust tubing Have you look at Creeping waves? In austentic materials I have been able to detect cracks smaller than 0.005 inches in depth using ID Creeping or OD Creeding Waves.

If you are not familar with Creeping waves see the publication section of www.ndt.net and look at my handbook on Advanced Ultrasonic Flaw Sizing.

J. Mark Davis

: : We are currently researching the possibility of detecting weld cracks in stainless steel exhaust tubing during the manufacturing process using ultrasonics. How small of a crack can be detected using this method and where can I get a list of North American vendors.
: Have a look at QASS.net.

01:17 Jul-14-2002
Fred Perkins
Re: Crack detection in thin wall exhaust tubing : : We are currently researching the possibility of detecting weld cracks in stainless steel exhaust tubing during the manufacturing process using ultrasonics. How small of a crack can be detected using this method and where can I get a list of North American vendors.
: Have a look at QASS.net.
.As an alternative, you might look at ESPI or shearographic measurement technology. No tanks required, dry air measurements. Faster, dry. 0.1 micron resolution. ESPI and shearography have been used successfully for this purpose before in the automotive industry. This process can be fully automated. Check www.syncretek.com.

01:35 Jul-14-2002
Rick Pfannenstiel
Re: Crack detection in thin wall exhaust tubing FAST UT has been used very effectively to examine welds in materials down to 0.040T. This was done on both on stainless and inconnel. Planar flaws down to 0.005" deep can be found. Check our web page at www.spinllc.cc for more information.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|