where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Phoenix Inspection Systems Limited
Design and manufacture ultrasonic Transducers, Scanners and Custom Solutions for NDT inspections. Innovators in NDT technology

Technical Discussions
Terry Martin
Terry Martin
07:35 Jul-02-1998
Crack detection in thin wall exhaust tubing

We are currently researching the possibility of detecting weld cracks in stainless steel exhaust tubing during the manufacturing process using ultrasonics. How small of a crack can be detected using this method and where can I get a list of North American vendors.

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
08:01 Jul-02-1998
Re: Crack detection in thin wall exhaust tubing

: We are currently researching the possibility of detecting weld cracks in stainless steel exhaust tubing during the manufacturing process using ultrasonics. How small of a crack can be detected using this method and where can I get a list of North American vendors.

The general answer to your question is that ultrasonic inspection can potentially detect cracks in metal tubing as small as a small fraction of a millimeter in depth. In each specific application, however, resolution will be determined by material and geometry related factors that in this case would include the shape and size of any weld bead present at the inspection point, and the amount of sound scattering from grain structure in the weld. Inspection throughput rate requirements must also be considered if this is to be an in-process test. Resolution limits in a specific test situation would be established through tests of reference samples containing typical defects of various sizes.

We are one of a number of North American manufacturers of ultrasonic NDT equipment. I'm sure you'll hear from some of the others too!

--Tom Nelligan
Senior Applications Engineer
Panametrics, Inc.
http://www.panametrics.com/ndt/

Paul Leeder
Paul Leeder
02:08 Dec-19-1998
: We are currently researching the possibility of detecting weld cracks in stainless steel exhaust tubing during the manufacturing process using ultrasonics. How small of a crack can be detected using this method and where can I get a list of North American vendors.

Paul J. Leeder
Paul J. Leeder
02:18 Dec-19-1998
: My company Leeder and Associates, located in Illinois, represents an Ultrasonic and Eddy Current manufacturer. I would be happy to provide anyone with any technical information needed on the inspection of cracks in their tubing. Office phone:(815)389-2079

Rainer Peitz
Rainer Peitz
09:07 Jul-14-2002
Have a look at QASS.net.

J. Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
00:35 Jul-14-2002
Have you look at Creeping waves? In austentic materials I have been able to detect cracks smaller than 0.005 inches in depth using ID Creeping or OD Creeding Waves.

If you are not familar with Creeping waves see the publication section of www.ndt.net and look at my handbook on Advanced Ultrasonic Flaw Sizing.

J. Mark Davis

: : We are currently researching the possibility of detecting weld cracks in stainless steel exhaust tubing during the manufacturing process using ultrasonics. How small of a crack can be detected using this method and where can I get a list of North American vendors.
: Have a look at QASS.net.

Fred Perkins
Fred Perkins
01:17 Jul-14-2002
: : We are currently researching the possibility of detecting weld cracks in stainless steel exhaust tubing during the manufacturing process using ultrasonics. How small of a crack can be detected using this method and where can I get a list of North American vendors.
: Have a look at QASS.net.
.As an alternative, you might look at ESPI or shearographic measurement technology. No tanks required, dry air measurements. Faster, dry. 0.1 micron resolution. ESPI and shearography have been used successfully for this purpose before in the automotive industry. This process can be fully automated. Check www.syncretek.com.

Rick Pfannenstiel
Rick Pfannenstiel
01:35 Jul-14-2002
FAST UT has been used very effectively to examine welds in materials down to 0.040T. This was done on both on stainless and inconnel. Planar flaws down to 0.005" deep can be found. Check our web page at www.spinllc.cc for more information.

Product Spotlight

TVC awarded UKAS accreditation

TVC are delighted to finally announce we have been awarded UKAS accreditation for our calibration
laboratory. Laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 enables us to conduct the Electrical Verification of Ultrasonic Flaw Detection Equipment to BS EN 12668-1:2010. It has taken many months of hard work and we want to thank our staff for all their efforts during this massive undertaking.
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s