where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasound Portable System
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:20 Mar-03-2001
Jhon Possu
Ultrasound Portable System

I am looking for a ultrasound portable system, battery operated like a notebook that includes a pulser/receiver card, a A/D card and a D/A card. Additionally I want to write my own software using visual basic, labview or visual c++.

For your answer, thank you very much...

01:08 Mar-05-2001
Wieslaw Bicz
Re: Ultrasound Portable System : I am looking for a ultrasound portable system, battery operated like a notebook that includes a pulser/receiver card, a A/D card and a D/A card. Additionally I want to write my own software using visual basic, labview or visual c++.
: For your answer, thank you very much...
We can offer you something, that can be probably interesting for you. See please the following information:
http://www.optel.com.pl/manual/english/opbox.htm concerning OPBOX, portable UT-unit, that works with any
computer with parallel printer (Centronics) interface.

Wieslaw Bicz

06:06 Mar-06-2001
Wolfgang Bisle
Re: Ultrasound Portable System It should not be that problem to find a suitable system for you. There are a lot of companies on the market offering now portable systems. Without any phantasy you may just look a the homepage of Krautkrämer and you will find Just what you want. Notebook with small sidebox. (http://www.krautkramer.com/products/flawgroup/uslt2000/describe.htm). That's a link everybody would look first. but there are a lot of other vendors.
Maybe you should think a little bigger: a shoebox PC with slotcards: One pulser/receiver card, another cord is a 12Bit/100MSample digitizer, a third card can operate a stepper motor unit, or the third card decodes Encoders for manual inspection manipulators etc.
Look for instance at Dr. Hillger's homepage http://www.dr-hillger.de/
Just what you need.
Such a shoebox computer is used by us here at EADS in Bremen for a lot of NDT applications:
Shearography
Pulse-Thermography
Ultrasound
Porositychecking
Eddy Current Multy Frequency
etc.
Some time ago we used the KONTRON IPlite Laptop, a good and rigid system, but it turned out that im most cases it is too expensive compared to other systems -you don't need always a "Mercedes"
Maybe it is a good idea to look for suitable slotcards fulfilling your needs; look for good software drivers added to the cards and assemble your own system. Use for instance a software surface like LabView or Labwindows and you may save a lot of time.
If you look for suitable digitizers (like GAGE, AQUIRIS, SONIXS, Signatec...) which are well approved for Ultrasonic applications, you will mostly find a good library of routines, sometimes there is already a lot of work done for your application. More care has to be taken to find out a good pulser/receiver. I will not tell you the company: but some years ago we ordered a Pulser/Receiver-PC-card from a well known american company which was reputated by a lot of people from the US academic world as a reference system. We instead got very lousy results compared with an oldfashioned Krautkramer USIP12 (thats really a good reference). This PC-Card produced unstable pulses, bad triggering, lots of noise - nothing usefull for signal analysis.
So be careful, what you buy. You schould test it in comparison to a good old analog equipment (e.g. like the USIP 12 - it's still challenge)
And a last advice: Battery Power causes not very much pleasure, if you use a notebook system. Notebooks are themselves consuming a lot of power and driving additionally a complete inspection system reduces the time of operation once more - average usage time for battery driven notebooks in full operation is about 2 hours; if you add more power consuming electronics - and you have to drive your transducers with power - then this time will drastically go down: what for. If you have to be mobile, use systems designed for portability like USL52 or similar.

01:10 Aug-21-2001
Doug Jensen
Re: Ultrasound Portable System jhon,
If you are still looking you ought to check out SonoSite. (www.sonosite.com) They seem to have exactly what you are asking for, although I'm not sure about the coding element you are asking about. It seems most companies have some sort of "proprietary" software element.

03:15 Oct-24-2002
Bob Giblett
Re: Ultrasound Portable System We have just introduce a Notebook PC docking station that accepts 1 or 3 full length PCI boards, which may be of interest.

Regards

Bob Giblett

04:20 Oct-24-2002

James JOE

Sales
South Korea,
Joined Sep 2002
Re: Ultrasound Portable System : We have just introduce a Notebook PC docking station that accepts 1 or 3 full length PCI boards, which may be of interest.
: Regards
: Bob Giblett
Would you please send us information more in details as soon as possible?

04:28 Oct-24-2002
Richard Kazares
Re: Ultrasound Portable System Interesting comments on this topic.

FINALLY, notebook PC's with small, lightweight USB 2 or PCMCIA based add-on chassis are available with either AC or battery pack power (you CAN add a relatively light-weight battery pack and extend battery life to well over 8 hours).

We (NDT Automation) have introduced such a system (with PCMCIA interface) using our own 12 bit 100 MHZ; 400 V Integrated A/D and P/R card and PCI-based motor controller/encoder interface board.

This system can operate both with our own software (ULtraWin) - or with Labview or other software drivers and systems.

There are still "lunchbox" based (and other PC form factors) solutions also available - with the same capabilities - so now it is a matter of personal CHOICE as to which way to go.

The notebook solution is rather attractive - since the notebook itself WITH whatever data is collected during a test/inspection can also easily be used as the post processing analysis and reporting "tool" - without the bulk of the remainder of the system.

: I am looking for a ultrasound portable system, battery operated like a notebook that includes a pulser/receiver card, a A/D card and a D/A card. Additionally I want to write my own software using visual basic, labview or visual c++.
: For your answer, thank you very much...

04:34 Oct-24-2002

GÖRAN VOGT

Director,
Vogt Ultrasonics GmbH,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Ultrasound Portable System DearSirs,

we are very interested in your docking station for adapting PCI boards to a notebook. Please sent information, if possible till tomorrow evening for a meeting.

Thanks

Göran Vogt
Vogt Werkstoffprüfsysteme GmbH
Burgwedel
tel 0049-(0)5139-9815-12
fax 0049-(0) 5139-9815-99

: We have just introduce a Notebook PC docking station that accepts 1 or 3 full length PCI boards, which may be of interest.
: Regards
: Bob Giblett

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|