where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
training
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:10 Mar-03-2001
Steve Bogas
training

I have been retained by a major aerospace component manufacturer to find
a strong NDT engineer with phased array ultrasonic background.

My question is: How long would it take for a Level III to get
up-to-speed in phased array? How long until this individual would be
able to have program modelling capability?

Thank you for any assistance

Steve Bogas
Christopher S. Stevens and Associates

03:16 Mar-05-2001

magneto

Student
US Navy,
USA,
Joined Mar 2001
Re: training Okay, I can't answer your question but maybe you can answer mine........I have been offered the Navy's NDT training (I am a welder now) and I'm trying to familiarize myself with NDT levels, their meanings, their ave. salaries, and what it takes to get to those levels.......appreciate any input or links......thanx

05:52 Mar-05-2001
Michael Trinida
Re: training (but not the original question)
Yep you didn’t answer the question. Simple answers, being ex military do every course they offer you but definitely do NDT as external training costs are high.

Most certification systems use three levels 1, 2 and 3. I have heard of a level 1A also connected with the military but not outside it. What does it all mean? Well if put into simple terms a level 1 is the he/she that has a limited amount of training and experience. He/she will generally. A level 1’s work is generally at the easier end of the spectrum, not always the case but mostly. A level 2 has the theoretical knowledge and experience. He/she does most the hands on work load and makes up the majority of the NDT community. A level 3 has a deeper theoretical knowledge and experience. He/she will train people, write reports, write procedures, do inspections but no leaping of tall buildings in a single bound.

For more exact terminology regarding levels 1, 2 and 3 you need to get a copy of Recommended Practice No. SNT-TC-1A, 1996 Edition from ASNT at their website http://www.asnt.org/index.html.

Salaries vary so dramatically but generally it is based on experience, training and qualifications ie the more you get the more you get. Another hint along the lines of salaries is the volumetric methods such as UT (Ultrasonics) and RT (Radiography) historically get higher rates. However if you do a rope rapelling course and do other methods hanging at the end of a rope its lucrative.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad

04:22 Mar-05-2001

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
Re: training Dear Steve,

I too was in the US Navy as a welder (Hull Technician) and reenlisted for NDT. NDT was strongly recommended by my Warrant Officer. I reenlisted in 1975 and it has been the best career move I have ever made.

Are you in the US Navy?

Please call me and I will be happy to talk with you.

Sincerely,

J. Mark Davis
ASNT Level III
(205) 663-7006

: Okay, I can't answer your question but maybe you can answer mine........I have been offered the Navy's NDT training (I am a welder now) and I'm trying to familiarize myself with NDT levels, their meanings, their ave. salaries, and what it takes to get to those levels.......appreciate any input or links......thanx

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|