where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
temper etch
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Ultrasonic Sciences Ltd
We specialize in the design and manufacture of automated and semi-automated ultrasonic testing systems, including multi axis, multi channels systems and phased array electronics.

02:44 Mar-05-2001
myaakov
temper etch

I would like to hear the opinion of people using the barkausen noise method to reveal temper etch phenomena.

Thanks Myaakov@excite.com

08:25 Mar-06-2001
Dave Ronson
Re: temper etch : I would like to hear the opinion of people using the barkausen noise method to reveal temper etch phenomena.
: Thanks Myaakov@excite.com
We have been using Barkhausen noise for evaluating grinding processes for about 5 years now with great success. It prevented us having to spend a substantial amounts of money on a room to house the etching process, especially with the low flash point of the alcohol rinse.
I guess the only down side to the Barkhausen Noise Inspection process is the need for known burn standards to initally establish the settings. Fixturing to hold the parts is also needed.
We have always followed up with a swab nital etch when ever we found excessive stresses identified with the Barkhausen, and in all cases, we were able to verify the condition.
We have trained our machinists on how to use the machine and they attach a readout of the scan with the work order. We have yet to try and establish standards with chrome on them to look at stress slightly below the chrome plating, which would also be beneficial for us.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|