where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
protruding rivets
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:38 Mar-10-2001

Klimaszewski

Engineering
Instytut Techniczny Wojsk Lotniczych,
Poland,
Joined Mar 2001
protruding rivets

I would like to get info about commercially available systems for crack detection in multilayer aircraft structures with protruding rivets.

07:01 Mar-10-2001
Matt Golis
Re: protruding rivets : I would like to get info about commercially available systems for crack detection in multilayer aircraft structures with protruding rivets.
The folks of the Ultra Image IV group have a portable scanner system that can be equipped with a water-coupled adapter that permits travel over rivot heads and has been proven on aircraft lap splices. The system was compared with others and reported on by the FAA validation center. Info can be found at http://www.ndt.net/news/saic_up.htm

If you have any questions, contact Bob Grills at robert.h.grills@saic.com

Matt

00:41 Mar-13-2001
Wolfgang Bisle
Re: protruding rivets If you should look for an ultrasonic inspection solution: Look for the "dripless bubbler" of the IOWA state university. The idea of the dripless with a 3 curtains of brushes to keep the water
is excellent. I don't know wether they are now in a postion to have this development commercialized. We ad EADS failed a year ago to buy only that bubbler, they wanted to sell us a complete system we did not need. But the idea is great.
Ref. to Rev. of Progr. in QNDE Vol 15.pp2045 (1996)
Responsible at the IOWA State Univ. is Thadd C. Patton & David K.Hsu
There are other solutions with 3 rotating ultrasound transducers and dry coupling on the market (one was developed by EADS Military in Manching Germany - maybe E.Grauvogl knows about it (Ernst.Grauvogl@m.dasa.de))

But in general you should think more about Eddy Current Testing as it is much more fitting that problem. Ask companies like Rohmann or Foerster, they have solutions with special probes.

09:19 Oct-16-2001
Tuan Nguyen
Re: protruding rivets I would like to get info about commercially available systems for crack detection in multilayer aircraft structures with protruding rivets.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|