where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Airstar Inc.
Application of the newest technologies, such as air-coupled ultrasound, digital instrumentation, signal processing, and transducer technology.

Technical Discussions
Doug Irish
Doug Irish
08:33 Mar-12-2001
Ultrasonic testing of concrete

I am trying to determine if the Krautkramer USN 60 will test for voids, caused by erosion, in the underlayment of a large concrete floor.Thanks

Jim Sabol
Jim Sabol
08:28 Mar-13-2001
Re: Ultrasonic testing of concrete
: I am trying to determine if the Krautkramer USN 60 will test for voids, caused by erosion, in the underlayment of a large concrete floor.Thanks
. The USN 60 is not designed for this application. The frequency bandwidth is not low enough to ensure penetration of the concrete. More importantly, there is a basic limitation caused by the principles of ultrasonics. The interface between the bottom of the concrete and the underlayment will always appear as an air gap whether the underlayment is intact or missing because of erosion. We suggest ground penetrating radar as a better solution.

John O'Brien
Consultant, -
Chevron ETC , USA, Joined Jan 2000, 278

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
01:43 Mar-23-2001
UT is not the best solution for this. Try looking at Impact Echo device which is tailor made for this application. Try searching for Impact Echo or go to www.pacuk.co.uk

Michael Berke
Michael Berke
01:51 Mar-28-2001
: I am trying to determine if the Krautkramer USN 60 will test for voids, caused by erosion, in the underlayment of a large concrete floor.Thanks
.I suggest to try with KRAUTKRAMER USM 23LF, a high power (1200 Volts), low frequency (50 - 500 kHz)Ultrasonic Flaw Detector, specially designed for high attenuative or coarse grain material. M. Berke, Krautkramer - Germany

Dan Johnson
Dan Johnson
05:46 Mar-28-2001
: : I am trying to determine if the Krautkramer USN 60 will test for voids, caused by erosion, in the underlayment of a large concrete floor.Thanks

I suggest trying IMPACT ECHO TESTING, which works in the 1-60 kHz range, uses spherical impactors, and has been used in previous applications to determine the locations of such voids. This method corresponds to ASTM Standard C-1383-98 for measuring plate thickness. Dan E. Johnson, Physical Acoustics Corp., Princeton, NJ

oak
oak
02:40 Aug-29-2002
.i want testing by ultrasonics of concreat

oak
oak
02:45 Aug-29-2002
: : : I am trying to determine if the Krautkramer USN 60 will test for voids, caused by erosion, in the underlayment of a large concrete floor.Thanks
: I suggest trying IMPACT ECHO TESTING, which works in the 1-60 kHz range, uses spherical impactors, and has been used in previous applications to determine the locations of such voids. This method corresponds to ASTM Standard C-1383-98 for measuring plate thickness. Dan E. Johnson, Physical Acoustics Corp., Princeton, NJ
.testing of concreat

Melissa Rubio
Melissa Rubio
08:23 Sep-09-2002
I would like to know if anyne has used Matlab to form artificial neural networks to test flaws in concrete non destructively.
please if anyone can help please do

Naveen Nair
Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India, Joined Sep 2002, 1

Naveen Nair

Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Madras,
India,
Joined Sep 2002
09:12 Sep-09-2002
: I would like to know if anyne has used Matlab to form artificial neural networks to test flaws in concrete non destructively.
: please if anyone can help please do

Yes it can be done. I have used MATLAB based and self developed code to do NDE of certain composites. I have not specifically worked on concrete, but I am assuming that composites is a good enough generalisation.
please do let me know if i can be of any help
Nair

Apostolos Tsimogiannis
Engineering, and R&D and NDT Inspector
ENVIROCOUSTICS SA, Greece, Joined Jan 2000, 2

Apostolos Tsimogiannis

Engineering, and R&D and NDT Inspector
ENVIROCOUSTICS SA,
Greece,
Joined Jan 2000
00:13 Sep-18-2002
: : I would like to know if anyne has used Matlab to form artificial neural networks to test flaws in concrete non destructively.
: : please if anyone can help please do
: .

We have done research work for both crack-like flaw detection, sizing and properties characterization, both in building (affected from earthquakes etc) and on laboratory specimens (during hardening and compression tests). The techniques we used were Acoustic Emission, Acousto-Ultrasonics and Ultrasonic velocity.
For signal discrimination we used Noesis a software for data analysis with Pattern Recognition and Neural Networks.
You can read about this work in published papers.
for example :

WCNDT 2000 ROME : Damage Level Evaluation and Characterization by Acoustic Emission and Acousto-Ultrasonics in Concrete Under Compressive Loads ( http://www.ndt.net/article/wcndt00/papers/idn449/idn449.htm)

ECNDT 2002 BARCELONA : DETERMINATION OF CONCRETE STRENGTH AND WATER TO CEMENT RATIO BY USING PATTERN RECOGNITION TECHNIQUES ON ACOUSTO-ULTRASONIC SIGNALS

See also the links.

best regards

Apostolos Tsimogiannis

Product Spotlight

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window