where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic testing of concrete
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Tecnatom
Tecnatom has more than 50 years of experience providing services, equipment and systems devoted to NDT testing in several sectors and markets.

08:33 Mar-12-2001
Doug Irish
Ultrasonic testing of concrete

I am trying to determine if the Krautkramer USN 60 will test for voids, caused by erosion, in the underlayment of a large concrete floor.Thanks

08:28 Mar-13-2001
Jim Sabol
Re: Ultrasonic testing of concrete : I am trying to determine if the Krautkramer USN 60 will test for voids, caused by erosion, in the underlayment of a large concrete floor.Thanks
. The USN 60 is not designed for this application. The frequency bandwidth is not low enough to ensure penetration of the concrete. More importantly, there is a basic limitation caused by the principles of ultrasonics. The interface between the bottom of the concrete and the underlayment will always appear as an air gap whether the underlayment is intact or missing because of erosion. We suggest ground penetrating radar as a better solution.

01:43 Mar-23-2001

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Ultrasonic testing of concrete UT is not the best solution for this. Try looking at Impact Echo device which is tailor made for this application. Try searching for Impact Echo or go to www.pacuk.co.uk

01:51 Mar-28-2001
Michael Berke
Re: Ultrasonic testing of concrete : I am trying to determine if the Krautkramer USN 60 will test for voids, caused by erosion, in the underlayment of a large concrete floor.Thanks
.I suggest to try with KRAUTKRAMER USM 23LF, a high power (1200 Volts), low frequency (50 - 500 kHz)Ultrasonic Flaw Detector, specially designed for high attenuative or coarse grain material. M. Berke, Krautkramer - Germany

05:46 Mar-28-2001
Dan Johnson
Re: Ultrasonic testing of concrete : : I am trying to determine if the Krautkramer USN 60 will test for voids, caused by erosion, in the underlayment of a large concrete floor.Thanks

I suggest trying IMPACT ECHO TESTING, which works in the 1-60 kHz range, uses spherical impactors, and has been used in previous applications to determine the locations of such voids. This method corresponds to ASTM Standard C-1383-98 for measuring plate thickness. Dan E. Johnson, Physical Acoustics Corp., Princeton, NJ

02:40 Aug-29-2002
oak
.i want testing by ultrasonics of concreat

02:45 Aug-29-2002
oak
Re: Ultrasonic testing of concrete : : : I am trying to determine if the Krautkramer USN 60 will test for voids, caused by erosion, in the underlayment of a large concrete floor.Thanks
: I suggest trying IMPACT ECHO TESTING, which works in the 1-60 kHz range, uses spherical impactors, and has been used in previous applications to determine the locations of such voids. This method corresponds to ASTM Standard C-1383-98 for measuring plate thickness. Dan E. Johnson, Physical Acoustics Corp., Princeton, NJ
.testing of concreat

08:23 Sep-09-2002
Melissa Rubio
Re: Ultrasonic testing of concrete I would like to know if anyne has used Matlab to form artificial neural networks to test flaws in concrete non destructively.
please if anyone can help please do

09:12 Sep-09-2002

Naveen Nair

Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Madras,
India,
Joined Sep 2002
Re: Ultrasonic testing of concrete : I would like to know if anyne has used Matlab to form artificial neural networks to test flaws in concrete non destructively.
: please if anyone can help please do

Yes it can be done. I have used MATLAB based and self developed code to do NDE of certain composites. I have not specifically worked on concrete, but I am assuming that composites is a good enough generalisation.
please do let me know if i can be of any help
Nair

00:13 Sep-18-2002

Apostolos Tsimogiannis

Engineering, and R&D and NDT Inspector
ENVIROCOUSTICS SA,
Greece,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Ultrasonic testing of concrete : : I would like to know if anyne has used Matlab to form artificial neural networks to test flaws in concrete non destructively.
: : please if anyone can help please do
: .

We have done research work for both crack-like flaw detection, sizing and properties characterization, both in building (affected from earthquakes etc) and on laboratory specimens (during hardening and compression tests). The techniques we used were Acoustic Emission, Acousto-Ultrasonics and Ultrasonic velocity.
For signal discrimination we used Noesis a software for data analysis with Pattern Recognition and Neural Networks.
You can read about this work in published papers.
for example :

WCNDT 2000 ROME : Damage Level Evaluation and Characterization by Acoustic Emission and Acousto-Ultrasonics in Concrete Under Compressive Loads ( http://www.ndt.net/article/wcndt00/papers/idn449/idn449.htm)

ECNDT 2002 BARCELONA : DETERMINATION OF CONCRETE STRENGTH AND WATER TO CEMENT RATIO BY USING PATTERN RECOGNITION TECHNIQUES ON ACOUSTO-ULTRASONIC SIGNALS

See also the links.

best regards

Apostolos Tsimogiannis

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|