where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
how to sort for "unshreddables"
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

08:31 Mar-27-2001

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
how to sort for "unshreddables"

Colleagues, I am looking into a concern raised by a manufacturer of industrial scrap shredders. Essentially, those big devices that recycle metal can choke on things described to me as "a suitcase made of solid metal." The question is, can one sort out "unshreddable" material before it lodges in and damages such expensive equipment.

I mentally envision a large industrial X-ray machine looking through the incoming material on a conveyor belt, or some vast encircling coil looking for a massive lump of dense metal to trigger some kind of electromagnetic signal. Both ideas feel pretty much like science fiction at this point to me, to be honest, but I guess that's just a matter of perpsective.

Do such large inspection systems exist, either for the 'pre-shred' sorting process of simply to interrogate very large volumes? I'd appreciate any thoughts that may arise on the subject.

Thanks for your time,
Dave Utrata

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|