where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Instrumentation for Guided Waves generation.
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:11 Apr-16-2001

Aziz Rehman

R & D
Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad,
Pakistan,
Joined Apr 2001
Instrumentation for Guided Waves generation.

Actually, now I am able to calculate the dispersion curves and able to know the angles and the frequency needed to generate a particular guided-mode, but the problem is that the calculated frequecy is of the order of few KHz (~100kHz) for a thickness of about 0.5". And for that low frequency, I need your advice to select the proper instrumentation. Here, (I think) that we need a high voltage tone burst, consisting of a gated, sinusoidal pulse of approximately 5-15 cycles and up to 1000 Volts Peak to
Peak. The narrow band excitation is source is crucial for effectively generating guided wave modes, specially for low frequencies.

So, What you suggest for that !

The type/company that can offer that type of function generator as well as the high voltage amplifier.

And last, but not the least, AM I RIGHT FOR ALL THESE ASSUMPTIONS.

What type of equipment you are using, for the fonction generator, and the transducers (from which company) etc.

00:57 Apr-17-2001

V K Dilip

Consultant
Industrial Support Services,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Jan 2001
Re: Instrumentation for Guided Waves generation. : Actually, now I am able to calculate the dispersion curves and able to know the angles and the frequency needed to generate a particular guided-mode, but the problem is that the calculated frequecy is of the order of few KHz (~100kHz) for a thickness of about 0.5". And for that low frequency, I need your advice to select the proper instrumentation. Here, (I think) that we need a high voltage tone burst, consisting of a gated, sinusoidal pulse of approximately 5-15 cycles and up to 1000 Volts Peak to
: Peak. The narrow band excitation is source is crucial for effectively generating guided wave modes, specially for low frequencies.
: So, What you suggest for that !
: The type/company that can offer that type of function generator as well as the high voltage amplifier.
: And last, but not the least, AM I RIGHT FOR ALL THESE ASSUMPTIONS.
: What type of equipment you are using, for the fonction generator, and the transducers (from which company) etc.

You could contact Plant Integrity in UK, they have a working system.And yes, the frequency if 100KHz and below.
Their address is jdharrison@twi.co.uk

02:53 Apr-24-2001

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Instrumentation for Guided Waves generation. You should try Guided Ultrasonics Limited UK email malcolm.russel1@virgin.net

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|