where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Airstar Inc.
Application of the newest technologies, such as air-coupled ultrasound, digital instrumentation, signal processing, and transducer technology.

Technical Discussions
Kris Smestad
Kris Smestad
01:07 Apr-20-2001
void detection

Hello NDT colleagues...

Here is scenario:

I need to detect for and size air pockets that have been located under a press-fitted brass band. Our product is a steel 6 inch round cylinder with a knurled band groove cut in. After the groove is cut, a brass band is inserted and then pressed in. The brass is supposed to make 100% contact with the steel, no voids. Recently, voids of approximately .070" were found with a tangental x-ray shot.

Here is my question:

Without going out and setting up an expensive x-ray system, what is the best method to detect and size these voids? I was thinking eddy current. Any suggestions on how to go about this? Equipment? Procedure? Limitations?

Thank you for your input in advance.

-Kris Smestad

Tom Murphy
NDT Inspector
USA, Joined Jul 2000, 16

Tom Murphy

NDT Inspector
USA,
Joined Jul 2000
01:30 Apr-20-2001
Re: void detection
Hello all,

If the brass is very securely mechanically coupled to the steel shaft then ultrasonic back reflection from the ID of the brass band would be dampened by intimate contact with the steel shaft. Where the back reflection amplitude increases the brass band would be less well coupled to the shaft. You can look for this effect either by amplitude comparisons or phase inversions of the back reflection.

Just a shot in the dark, but good luck.

Tom

If: Hello NDT colleagues...
: Here is scenario:
: I need to detect for and size air pockets that have been located under a press-fitted brass band. Our product is a steel 6 inch round cylinder with a knurled band groove cut in. After the groove is cut, a brass band is inserted and then pressed in. The brass is supposed to make 100% contact with the steel, no voids. Recently, voids of approximately .070" were found with a tangental x-ray shot.
: Here is my question:
: Without going out and setting up an expensive x-ray system, what is the best method to detect and size these voids? I was thinking eddy current. Any suggestions on how to go about this? Equipment? Procedure? Limitations?
: Thank you for your input in advance.
: -Kris Smestad

JIGNASA
JIGNASA
03:17 Aug-28-2002
: Hello NDT colleagues...
: Here is scenario:
: sir, I want to know the techinque for void detection
in Live Tank SF6 Circuit Breaker Rod , which is
made up of Glassfiber reinforced Epoxy tube.

Philippe Rubbers
Engineering
SCM, South Africa, Joined Nov 1998, 21

Philippe Rubbers

Engineering
SCM,
South Africa,
Joined Nov 1998
01:37 Sep-02-2002
: : Hello NDT colleagues...
: .
: : Here is scenario:
: .
: : sir, I want to know the techinque for void detection
: in Live Tank SF6 Circuit Breaker Rod , which is
: made up of Glassfiber reinforced Epoxy tube.

Dear Sir
I assume that the equipment is at high voltages, and that voids are undesirable as they will cause partial discharge?
If so a possible solution which is not main stream NDT may be your solution here:
How about perfoming partial discharge detection.
This will not size your voids directly, but the severity of the partial discharge, and the pattern of the discharges on the excitation waveform (50 or 60Hz) will give an indication of the void severity, and directly quantify the imact of the voids on the fitness for purpose of your equipment.
There are a number of high voltage laboratories who perform this service, but if you do not come right, send me an e-mail.

Best regards

Product Spotlight

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Echomac® PA Rail Wheel Tester

MAC introduces two versions of Rail Wheel Testers using ECHOMAC® PA platform based on customer requ
irements.
>

High Resolution Industrial CT System for Small/Medium Size Parts Inspection - YXLON FF35 CT

The YXLON FF35 CT computed tomography system is designed to achieve extremely precise inspection r
esults for a wide range of applications. Available in a single or dual tube configuration, it is perfect for very small to medium size parts inspection in the automotive, electronics, aviation, and material science industries.
>

ISONIC 3510

Very Powerful Superior Performance Extremely Portable Smart Phased Array Ultrasonic Flaw Detector an
d Recorder with 2 Conventional UT and TOFD Channels uniquely combines PA, single- and multi-channel conventional UT, and TOFD modalities providing 100% raw data recording and imaging. Suitable for all kinds of every-day ultrasonic inspections
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window