where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT Inconel on carbon steel
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

ACS-Solutions GmbH
develop and manufacture hi-tech devices for Ultrasonic Testing

02:54 Apr-30-2001
Glenn Hamilton
NDT Inconel on carbon steel

What method of UT (or other) can be used to measure the thickness of inconel on carbon steel??? Is there special equipment to be used, or will the plain ol' UT meter work?

Thanks in advance for any info!

03:12 Apr-30-2001
James Gauthier
Re: NDT Inconel on carbon steel You can use an S5 Bond tester made by Zetec. It will measure laminar bonds on top of existing metals. See RTD Quality Services for all sorts of inspection methods.

03:17 Apr-30-2001

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: NDT Inconel on carbon steel : What method of UT (or other) can be used to measure the thickness of inconel on carbon steel??? Is there special equipment to be used, or will the plain ol' UT meter work?

Ultrasonic measurement of the inconel thickness will be somewhere between relatively difficult and completely impossible, depending on the EXACT steel and inconel alloys you're working with and the similarity (or difference) in acoustic impedance between them. If they're too closely matched in impedance, which is often the case, you won't see a useable echo from the boundary between them, and even if they're somewhat mismatched the echo will usually be quite small.

As far as equipment and setup, first you need a transducer that has sufficient near surface sensitivity to cleanly see whatever thickness of inconel you're measuring. Then you need to crank up the gain and look for a small echo at that location. This requires a flaw detector or a gage with waveform display. If you're using a gage, be sure you set the echo window narrow enough that the backwall from the inconel plus steel is not detected; otherwise, typical gages will read that big echo rather than the small echo you're looking for.

We'd be happy to evaluate samples for you in our lab, but I'd have to say there's only a 50/50 chance of success, depending on the specific combination of alloys you're working with.

--Tom Nelligan
Panametrics, Inc.

03:43 Apr-30-2001

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: NDT Inconel on carbon steel I wouldn't recommend any UT method for this, Typically the bond will be very difficult to spot, and since the Top layer is usually welded or flame sprayed on the material grain structure may be pretty iffy.

However, magnetic methods should work, you are using the fact that the substrate is magnetic and the coating isn't. For rough readings a magnetic lift-off gauge might work -I picked up one in a car parts shop (used for detecting filler) for 50pence once, but they do get a bit more sophisticated.

A digital magnetic coating thickness gage (like our sonacoat 8) should give fairly accurate results.

Alternatively you should be able to calibrate an eddy current flaw detector (Medium size driver pickup coil at a few kHz) to do the job.

Rgds
Joe

: What method of UT (or other) can be used to measure the thickness of inconel on carbon steel??? Is there special equipment to be used, or will the plain ol' UT meter work?
: Thanks in advance for any info!

03:47 May-01-2001

Dent McIntyre

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: NDT Inconel on carbon steel : What method of UT (or other) can be used to measure the thickness of inconel on carbon steel??? Is there special equipment to be used, or will the plain ol' UT meter work?
You did not say what type of Inconel or how it is applied to the carbon steel. I am assumeing you have a parallel back wall???

We have tried several methods over the years and have found that the only reliable method is to measure thickness before cladding and after cladding with UT. To measure thickness after you need to calibrate on an Inconel step wedge (made frome the same method and material) and then delay off screen the original thickness of your carbon steel.

02:19 Jul-05-2001

Mike Macke

NDT Inspector
GE Inspection Services,
USA,
Joined Aug 2001
This has been a question that is always asked and the answer is always mixed. In UT- the metallurgical overlay structures of inconnel/austenitic ss/ferritic ss types on a thicker carbon bulk is not fully tracable at the fusion boundaries since isotopic and anisotropic conditions exist and that that several wave modes can exist....not to mention columnar grain structure angles sensitive to hi-frequencies...too much beam skewing....you would need to be able to trace the wave model from the reflection source at a transparent perfect fusion zone 1:1, if you could get a signal return it would be hidden in the white noise...so the grain angle tilts need to be understood thru Ray tracing which is in a lot of research.

Using the magnetic probles.....the variable ferrite influence comes into play and will give you false readings...begins to deviate over 1.1 ferrite.

If you had perfect welding and chemistry / heat parameter comtrols, and nothing ever changes durring the overlay process...well mabe an eddy current specialized probe for your specific conditions may work? but I tried that special probe/special calibration standard $$$$$ SOMEone did a good sales job on me....

regards

04:09 Sep-19-2002
Lori Angela
Re: NDT Inconel on carbon steel : : What method of UT (or other) can be used to measure the thickness of inconel on carbon steel??? Is there special equipment to be used, or will the plain ol' UT meter work?
: .
: : Thanks in advance for any info!
: .
: You did not say what type of Inconel or how it is applied to the carbon steel. I am assumeing you have a parallel back wall???
: We have tried several methods over the years and have found that the only reliable method is to measure thickness before cladding and after cladding with UT. To measure thickness after you need to calibrate on an Inconel step wedge (made frome the same method and material) and then delay off screen the original thickness of your carbon steel.
I am also looking for a method of measure cladding thickness, and the material of the cladding is SS304 on a carbon steel digester. If you have some information about that, please, send me.

07:03 Sep-20-2002

Don

Engineering
Rolls Royce,
United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2002
Re: NDT Inconel on carbon steel We have used twin probe time of flight (TOFD) for the inspection of clad materials, and the interface between the cladding and base material can easily be seen and measured. This will work on both Inconel and Stainless claddings.
Alternatively the stainless clad could be measured using an eddy current or magnetic method if the cladding is less than 5mm thick. This will not work on the Inconel as it is magnetic.

07:22 Sep-20-2002

John Hansen

Director, - Eddy Current Technology
ETher NDE Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: NDT Inconel on carbon steel Certainly we've demonstrated the feasibility of using eddy current for this type of test.

Contact me with details of your test (thicknesses alloys used etc) and I will send you some results.

John Hansen
Hocking NDT Ltd
St Albans
UK

06:00 Sep-26-2002
Sean Franklin
Re: NDT Inconel on carbon steel : Resistivity (using a special form of ohms law)is a proven ndt method for this application. The Physical Acoustic/NDT Automation M100A Metal Inspector generates a series of rapidly reversing direct current into the test specimen. The change in resistivity values interpolates specific material characteristics. Data is absolute, so readings can be stored for process control.

For additional information, please contact Sean Franklin @ 609-716-4088 or SFranklin@NDTAutomation.com

: Certainly we've demonstrated the feasibility of using eddy current for this type of test.
: Contact me with details of your test (thicknesses alloys used etc) and I will send you some results.
: John Hansen
: Hocking NDT Ltd
: St Albans
: UK

10:53 Jun-07-2012
muthu
Re: NDT Inconel on carbon steel In Reply to Dent McIntyre at 03:47 May-01-2001 .

Please advise for the below,
how will i going to inspect the weld inconel overlay thickness on base material AISI 4130 by ut machine , Brand GE
any one answer me plaese,,,

12:18 Jun-07-2012
muthu
Re: NDT Inconel on carbon steel In Reply to Mike Macke at 02:19 Jul-05-2001 .

how to check inconnel thickness welded on base material AISI 4130 by BY GE ultra sonic machine

regards,
D.Muthusamy
Qatar

00:20 Jun-09-2012
john
Re: NDT Inconel on carbon steel In Reply to Lori Angela at 04:09 Sep-19-2002 .

One method that I have used with great success is fairly simple. It works better and is more reliable with explosion clad as that is a more uniform thickness and not the typical troubles associated with the inco weld overlay.
It requires your 0-deg probe that will give you the best signal from the interface signal.
Step-1: Calibrate with the c/s step for calibration and measure the actual c/s thickness from the IP to the interface signal. Record measurement.
Step-2: Re-calibrate with a step wedge of the same material as the clad & measure the actual thickness from the clad interface to the backwall. Record measurement.
Step-3: Add c/s measurement to clad measurement.
You now have the actual total thickness of the entire component, the c/s and the clad thks

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|