where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Peter Hammond
Peter Hammond
07:13 Sep-24-1996
High temperature probes

Hello,
I have a couple of questions arising from Klaus Matthies' paper.
First, what is LNN? What are the advantages/disadvantages compared
with LiNbO3, also mentioned?

Second, is this probe intended to be used similarly to a normal probe,
carried around and put onto hot surfaces for a few seconds? Is thermal
shock not a problem here? The devices I have read about
previously have been permanently mounted, for condition
monitoring.

K. Matthies
K. Matthies
03:30 Sep-27-1996
Re: High temperature probes
makes sense to
heat them up slowly in order to allow for a balanced heat flow. (approx.
10 min./100 degrees centigrade).

Best regards,

K. Matthies

K. Matthies
K. Matthies
02:38 Oct-04-1996
Dear Mr. Hammond,

The LNN piezo ceramic are developed in a project financed by EC research programme. In the same project, we have made further development in the transducer. The report that you find in the workshop is practically the final report.

It is true that these transducers are used in applications which requires large inspection time. We also use these transducers for determining wall thickness in Zinc coating plants. We measure the wall thickness by immersion technic in approximately 450 °C hot Zinc.

For your requirement, we have developed other type of transducers. As far as the construction of these transducers are concerned, it is similar to the previous one except that these are housed in plastic material. They are suitable only for continuous application up to 200 °C.

Since they posses ceramic delay path, it is possible to use these transducers on hot surfaces upto 1000 °C. However, this is possible in time intervals of 10 sec with 50 sec pause.

With best regards

K. Matthies

Peter Hammond
Peter Hammond
01:51 Oct-04-1996
Dear Mr Matthies,
Thankyou for your reply to my post.

I was aware that Ferroperm were working on LiNbO3 ceramics but I did not
know they were so near to success.

Your description of slow heating to high temperature is much as I
expected. Effectively this would tend to limit application to continuous
monitoring, surely? This is of course a very valuable task, but wouldn't
it be nice to be able to use the probe fully portably?

Best regards,
Dr Peter Hammond,
Cygnus Intruments.

: Dear Mr. Hammond,

: The LNN piezo ceramic are developed in a project financed by EC research programme. In the same project, we have made further development in the transducer. The report that you find in the workshop is practically the final report.

: It is true that these transducers are used in applications which requires large inspection time. We also use these transducers for determining wall thickness in Zinc coating plants. We measure the wall thickness by immersion technic in approximately 450 °C hot Zinc.

: For your requirement, we have developed other type of transducers. As far as the construction of these transducers are concerned, it is similar to the previous one except that these are housed in plastic material. They are suitable only for continuous application up to 200 °C.

: Since they posses ceramic delay path, it is possible to use these transducers on hot surfaces upto 1000 °C. However, this is possible in time intervals of 10 sec with 50 sec pause.

: With best regards

: K. Matthies

K. Matthies
K. Matthies
01:53 Oct-04-1996
Because the probes have in their front only a thin Lambda/2-diaphragm, it makes sense to
heat them up slowly in order to allow for a balanced heat flow. (approx.
10 min./100 degrees centigrade).

Best regards,

K. Matthies

: Dear Mr Matthies,
: Thankyou for your reply to my post.

: I was aware that Ferroperm were working on LiNbO3 ceramics but I did not
: know they were so near to success.

: Your description of slow heating to high temperature is much as I
: expected. Effectively this would tend to limit application to continuous
: monitoring, surely? This is of course a very valuable task, but wouldn't
: it be nice to be able to use the probe fully portably?

: Best regards,
: Dr Peter Hammond,
: Cygnus Intruments.

: : Dear Mr. Hammond,

: : The LNN piezo ceramic are developed in a project financed by EC research programme. In the same project, we have made further development in the transducer. The report that you find in the workshop is practically the final report.

: : It is true that these transducers are used in applications which requires large inspection time. We also use these transducers for determining wall thickness in Zinc coating plants. We measure the wall thickness by immersion technic in approximately 450 °C hot Zinc.

: : For your requirement, we have developed other type of transducers. As far as the construction of these transducers are concerned, it is similar to the previous one except that these are housed in plastic material. They are suitable only for continuous application up to 200 °C.

: : Since they posses ceramic delay path, it is possible to use these transducers on hot surfaces upto 1000 °C. However, this is possible in time intervals of 10 sec with 50 sec pause.

: : With best regards

: : K. Matthies

Product Spotlight

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window