where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Roots detection in soil
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:05 May-04-2001

Massimo Schinelli

Consultant, Geotechnics
Schinelli Consulting,
Italy,
Joined Jan 2001
Roots detection in soil

I am looking for a reliable method to estimate the average depth of penetration of some trees' roots in the soil. This is to evaluate the potential use of some trees species to stabilise shallow landslides. Has anyone experience on this subject?
Thanks in advance,

Massimo Schinelli

04:01 May-04-2001
Gary Woodside
Re: Roots detection in soil Both cameras and borescopes have been used in the past to study root propagation. I believe the info you require is already available from one of the agricultural universities. In the past they have inserted perspex tube into the soil and watched the roots grow.
Regards
Gary
: I am looking for a reliable method to estimate the average depth of penetration of some trees' roots in the soil. This is to evaluate the potential use of some trees species to stabilise shallow landslides. Has anyone experience on this subject?
: Thanks in advance,
: Massimo Schinelli

08:45 May-04-2001

Massimo Schinelli

Consultant, Geotechnics
Schinelli Consulting,
Italy,
Joined Jan 2001
Re: Roots detection in soil .
What I was thinking about was a geophysical method such as georadar, which could allow to inspect reasonably high volumes of soil/rock. According to my opinion visual inspections with cameras and boroscopes would imply rather punctual and very localised inspections.

Regards,

Massimo Schinelli

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|