where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Massimo Schinelli
Consultant, Geotechnics
Schinelli Consulting, Italy, Joined Jan 2001, 8

Massimo Schinelli

Consultant, Geotechnics
Schinelli Consulting,
Italy,
Joined Jan 2001
02:05 May-04-2001
Roots detection in soil

I am looking for a reliable method to estimate the average depth of penetration of some trees' roots in the soil. This is to evaluate the potential use of some trees species to stabilise shallow landslides. Has anyone experience on this subject?
Thanks in advance,

Massimo Schinelli

Gary Woodside
Gary Woodside
04:01 May-04-2001
Re: Roots detection in soil
Both cameras and borescopes have been used in the past to study root propagation. I believe the info you require is already available from one of the agricultural universities. In the past they have inserted perspex tube into the soil and watched the roots grow.
Regards
Gary
: I am looking for a reliable method to estimate the average depth of penetration of some trees' roots in the soil. This is to evaluate the potential use of some trees species to stabilise shallow landslides. Has anyone experience on this subject?
: Thanks in advance,
: Massimo Schinelli

Massimo Schinelli
Consultant, Geotechnics
Schinelli Consulting, Italy, Joined Jan 2001, 8

Massimo Schinelli

Consultant, Geotechnics
Schinelli Consulting,
Italy,
Joined Jan 2001
08:45 May-04-2001
Re: Roots detection in soil
What I was thinking about was a geophysical method such as georadar, which could allow to inspect reasonably high volumes of soil/rock. According to my opinion visual inspections with cameras and boroscopes would imply rather punctual and very localised inspections.

Regards,

Massimo Schinelli

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Echomac® PA Rail Wheel Tester

MAC introduces two versions of Rail Wheel Testers using ECHOMAC® PA platform based on customer requ
irements.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

Trade-In Offer

We are offering our existing clients trade-in against Wavemaker® G3 systems, Standard (Blue) inflat
able rings and modules for excellent deals on the latest Wavemaker® G4mini system.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s