where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Aluminum Core Inspection
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

FI Test- und Messtechnik GmbH

07:36 May-04-2001

Joe

NDT Inspector
AECL,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2000
Aluminum Core Inspection

Dear Members
I have been requested to do an inspection on extruded Aluminum approx. 0.250" dia type 5052 for detection of cracking/voids...We are a research facility and have access to real time radiograpy as well as eddy current and ultrasonic methods, I am looking for any ideas as to which may be the best method for detection
Regards

09:52 May-04-2001

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Aluminum Core Inspection If you're looking for wormhole-type voids in the center of the rod, a single channel ultrasonic system should pick them up easily and at relatively low cost. However, true 100% volumetric UT inspection of solid cylinders for small voids or cracks requires either spinning and indexing the test pieces, often using two or more channels of instrumentation, or using multi-channel systems with sector arrays or multiple transducers on a non-rotating part. I'm afraid these can get very expensive -- we've supplied some specialized 10-channel sector array systems for continuous, high resolution inspection of cylindrical products, and price is many times that of a simple single-channel system with a standard transducer.

The questions you'll need to consider for any NDT method will be how small an anomaly you need to find, how are they oriented, and whether you need to look at 100% of the cross section of the rod or can settle for some lesser area.

--Tom Nelligan
Panametrics, Inc.

: I have been requested to do an inspection on extruded Aluminum approx. 0.250" dia type 5052 for detection of cracking/voids...We are a research facility and have access to real time radiograpy as well as eddy current and ultrasonic methods, I am looking for any ideas as to which may be the best method for detection

00:39 May-04-2001
Jim Knowles
Re: Aluminum Core Inspection : If you're looking for wormhole-type voids in the center of the rod, a single channel ultrasonic system should pick them up easily and at relatively low cost. However, true 100% volumetric UT inspection of solid cylinders for small voids or cracks requires either spinning and indexing the test pieces, often using two or more channels of instrumentation, or using multi-channel systems with sector arrays or multiple transducers on a non-rotating part. I'm afraid these can get very expensive -- we've supplied some specialized 10-channel sector array systems for continuous, high resolution inspection of cylindrical products, and price is many times that of a simple single-channel system with a standard transducer.
: The questions you'll need to consider for any NDT method will be how small an anomaly you need to find, how are they oriented, and whether you need to look at 100% of the cross section of the rod or can settle for some lesser area.
: --Tom Nelligan
: Panametrics, Inc.
:
: : I have been requested to do an inspection on extruded Aluminum approx. 0.250" dia type 5052 for detection of cracking/voids...We are a research facility and have access to real time radiograpy as well as eddy current and ultrasonic methods, I am looking for any ideas as to which may be the best method for detection
From Jim Knowles C S Products Testing Equipment Ltd
I have just finished a scanner for the detection of 0.25 mm corrosion pits, a three 15MHz transducer system using an immersion technique containing the acoustic coupling in water, coupled to ultrasonic system and producing C,B &D scan data.
I would see that an adaptation of the same system would be capabale of seeing , positioning and sizing the defects in your material.
Also I have been working on a digital imaging system 16bit 1024 x 1024 peltier cooled detection system capable of detection 50 micron defects in stainles or Zirconium, both systems as I see it are viable, but costs come into it.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|