where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Michael Hnytka
Michael Hnytka
07:47 May-06-1997
Mechanised UT on Girth Weld

I'm currently working with Rivest testing and observed the test RTD was performing on the 42" pipeline for TCPL in Manitoba. I was wondering if they determine what the background noise they were receiving was from? And, I was also interested if they had any problems with scanning both sides of a transition weld? Problems being thickness changes, material changes and weld profile changes?

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1268

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
01:25 May-09-1997
Re: Mechanised UT on Girth Weld
: I'm currently working with Rivest testing and observed the test RTD was performing on the 42" pipeline for TCPL in Manitoba. I was wondering if they determine what the background noise they were receiving was from? And, I was also interested if they had any problems with scanning both sides of a transition weld? Problems being thickness changes, material changes and weld profile changes?

Michael:
The "background noise" was found in the initial setup
and was associated with a problem in probe/wiring .

As for transition welds you mean the weld that joins a
heavy wall pipe to a light wall pipe. The transition
is made by counterboring the heavywall pipe to match
the lightwall pipe thickness. The counterbore extends
for a distance of about 50-60mm which ensures any skip
point will occur at the same thickness as the
light wall pipe on which the array was calibrated.

The matching of thickness by the counterbore
ensures the weld profile is maintained.

The material difference we are primarily concerned
with is shear velocity variation between manufacturers.
In the technique used only one probe was over
70 degrees. Only this beam might be adversely affected.
For the 60 degree probes the angle changes that might result
due to velocity variation would not likely be more
than 2 degrees. The 70 degree probe used in the
technique was used in the root area which was also
inspected using a 60° and TOFD.

Sorry about the dealy in response, I got called
out of town with no access to the internet.

ED

Product Spotlight

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window