where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

GRANPECT COMPANY Ltd

Technical Discussions
Navish M
Navish M
07:35 Jan-12-2009
Phased Array

Hello All,

Does it really require having Individual piping Blocks of thicknesses & diameters for demonstration/ ref calibration as per ASME CC 181 or we can use the range for specific diameters & thickness.

Thanks
Navish

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1247

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
13:20 Jan-12-2009
Re: Phased Array
In Reply to Navish M at 07:35 Jan-12-2009 (Opening).

Navish
You are mixing two aspects of ASME CC181; i.e. calibration and demonstration. CC181 states that you are to follow the rules in Article 4 of Section V. Since CC181 is only addressing the permission to use an alternative acceptance criteria on pipe welds you are therefore required to use the piping calibration requirements. T-434.3 states that the calibration block shall be from a section of pipe of the same nominal size and schedule. So as for the "calibration" portion of your question the answer is no, you are not permitted to use a range.
The issue of demonstration is separate. This is not specified in the ASME CC181. However, EPRI has been for years "qualifying" techniques with a tolerance of about 6mm above and below that demonstrated on. For now, (until ASME defines this parameter) I would think that that should be a reasonable limit. A reasonable range of diameters addressed by the demonstration should also apply. Fig. T-434.1.7.2 provides a graph of curvatures limits used for curved "plate". Six diameters are identified on that image over the range of 1 to 20 inch diameter. I would suggest that this is a reasonable guide for the demonstration block diameter ranges.
Ed

Product Spotlight

I&T Nardoni

NDT, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF NEW METHODOLOGY, TRAINING CENTER I&T NARDON INSTITUTE was idiated
in 1988 by Giuseppe Nardoni, now president and owner of the company, based on his multi-annual and international experience in the field of NDT.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window