where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Nathan
Nathan
14:29 Jan-27-2009
ULTRASONICS: Shear/Longitudinal Velocity Calculation...

Think I posted the last reply wrong

Ok. does it change from material to material then? or is there a proper formula?

I was testing Duplex Steel the other day with a measured velocity of .5815
which is between 'Steel, 4150, Rc64' of .582 and Magnesium (O-1) .580.
but the shear velocity has a big jump between the two materials...
We are unable to get a V1 block made out of this kind of steel...

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 822

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
17:50 Jan-27-2009
Re: ULTRASONICS: Shear/Longitudinal Velocity Calculation...
In Reply to Nathan at 14:29 Jan-27-2009 (Opening).

Nathan,

I'm a little curious, so I hope you won't mind if I ask a few questions? Is this Duplex Steel a material that you have to inspect on a regular basis? And why can't you get a block made? The reason I'm asking is because has you know, we should use a Calibration Block of similar material properties to what we are inspecting. ASTM E 164 gives you all the dimensions with tolerances for both a U.S. and Metric block.

I often come across similar situation with one of my client and when this arise, we ask him to make a Calibration Block that will suit our inspection requierement. In our case, it may be a little easier because they also have a very large machine shop that will accomodate our needs.

I hope you get your problem resolve.
Cheerio's

Nathan
Nathan
09:20 Jan-28-2009
In Reply to Michel Couture at 17:50 Jan-27-2009 .

It was more of a theoretical question really.
I got sent to an offshore platform to get some wall thickness readings on some new carbon steel pipework,when I arrived, I noticed it was Duplex Steel D3N450. So I measured a pipework flange with a micrometer, then used this measurment for the velocity calibration on my Epoch LT.

We will only really be checking this piping for internal erosion, so the exact wall thickness is not 'that' important, however, the amount of loss (if there is going to be any) has to be logged. So, as we'll always use the same velocity, we should be able to calculate the loss.

The reason we can't get a V1 block made is that our supplier can only supply in aluminum, carbon steel or duplex.

TJ
TJ
20:55 Jan-28-2009
In Reply to Nathan at 14:29 Jan-27-2009 (Opening).

There is a proper formula......This one is for determination of longitudinal velocity.

Lonigtudinal velocity= the square route of E(1-B)

E = Young's modulus of elasticity
B = the Poisson ratio
p = material density

Have Fun!

TJ

TJ
TJ
20:59 Jan-28-2009
In Reply to TJ at 20:55 Jan-28-2009 .

Longitudinal velocity= the square route of E(1-B) / p(1+B)(1-2B).

Sorry, post got jacked up!
TJ

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 822

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
17:26 Jan-29-2009
In Reply to Nathan at 09:20 Jan-28-2009 .

Hi Nathan,
I know where you're coming from. At some occasions, I was in the same situation. I relsove my problem by finding a good reliable machine shop and contracted them to do my calibration pieces. It's true that I didn't really have to deal with exotic metals. At the time, being in the aircraft industry, 2024T3, 7075T6 Al and Ti are readily available in my area.

Cheerio's
Michel

Nathan
Nathan
14:56 Feb-04-2009
In Reply to Michel Couture at 17:26 Jan-29-2009 .

Tell me about it. it's starting to annoy me a bit.

Product Spotlight

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

35 years of VOGT Ultrasonics!

This year we are celebrating a company anniversary! 35 years have passed since we first took our t
est device and swung the probe on behalf of safety. But our ultrasonic know-how goes back many years..
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s