where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
velu
velu
15:45 Feb-09-2009
ut below 5 mm

hi to all,
i have dout about below 5mm thickness we can do ut or not?

Manfred
Consultant,
Richter & Tomasi Ltd., Brazil, Joined Jan 2008, 29

Manfred

Consultant,
Richter & Tomasi Ltd.,
Brazil,
Joined Jan 2008
16:20 Feb-09-2009
Re: ut below 5 mm
In Reply to velu at 15:45 Feb-09-2009 (Opening).

Please give more details. Material, welds, forging ...

James Gauthier
NDT Inspector, Operations Manager
GE Inspection Services, USA, Joined Nov 2007, 25

James Gauthier

NDT Inspector, Operations Manager
GE Inspection Services,
USA,
Joined Nov 2007
16:20 Feb-09-2009

Velu,

You must give more information about what you are trying to do. UT below 5mm is a pretty broad statement. Are you trying to do 0 degree or angle beam inspection? Please let us know more about exactly what you are trying to accomplish and we can help you with our comments.

Jamie

Sibusiso Mzila
Engineering, Pipeline integrity
Transnet SOC Limited, South Africa, Joined May 2004, 12

Sibusiso Mzila

Transnet SOC Limited,
South Africa,
Joined May 2004
07:16 Feb-10-2009

I am also highly interested in this subject as. I also have cast steel pipeline network: wall thickness from 4mm to 13mm in 6", 8", 12", 16", 18" & 20".
My immediate concern is the 12" pipe, thickness between 6,35mm and 8mm, I want to locate and size planar anomalies (incl cracks, lack of fusion, etc) in the longitudinal seam weld and heat affected zone; in surface, sub-surface & internal wall.
I do this to verify events pointed out by in-line inspection surveys (pigging). the seam weld is ERW of pre-1970. I normally insist on both a zero & an angle probe.
Velu and I are anxiously awaiting your responses.

kutty
kutty
09:00 Feb-10-2009
In Reply to Sibusiso Mzila at 07:16 Feb-10-2009 .

hi

what are the aspects to we should concentrat while scaning in both(angle&0) probe in below 8mm thickness.

1. in pipe
2. in plate
3. in both weld

nilson

Sibusiso Mzila
Transnet SOC Limited, South Africa, Joined May 2004, 12

Sibusiso Mzila

Transnet SOC Limited,
South Africa,
Joined May 2004
10:14 Feb-10-2009
In Reply to kutty at 09:00 Feb-10-2009 .

Hi Nilson,

I am not sure I understand your question, it is 100% scanning of discontinuities or material losses on the longitudinal seam weld (LSW) and 1 inch either side of the LSW.

Stix

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 785

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
11:42 Feb-10-2009

I know you are getting and are going to get many more responses. I can only answer you in broad terms right now - the answer is yes. We were doing UT of very thin plates and tubes, right upto 0.4 mm and we can go down futher if needed. I am talking of tubes, sheets and welds in zirconium alloys, titanium, austenitic stainless steel etc. for various applications.

Pl. feel free to contact with more details. I can help you if you have the right equipment.

Swamy

Rafal
Sales, - Technical Support
Olympus Poland, Poland, Joined Sep 2008, 11

Rafal

Sales, - Technical Support
Olympus Poland,
Poland,
Joined Sep 2008
13:46 Feb-10-2009

The answer for simple question: "Can we do UT below 8mm?" is YES. We have been performing that kind of testing for over 20 years now. Also Polish power industry is using this method. (method is described in article from ECNDT 2006 http://www.ndt.net/search/abstract.php3?AbsID=4071 ).
Anyone feel free to contact me for more informations...

Product Spotlight

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s