where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
small dia piping ut calibration
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

18:30 Feb-10-2009
emead
small dia piping ut calibration

I've been looking for a standard for calibration of small diameter piping/ thin wall tubing... whats the best transducer to use when using DMS2??

20:23 Feb-10-2009

RIck Cahill

Engineering,
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Dec 2008
Re: small dia piping ut calibration In Reply to emead at 18:30 Feb-10-2009 (Opening).

The FH2E, DA312B16, and KBA525 are probably the best choices for your application. The DA312B16 and KBA525 have the smallest probe contact area of these choices. Information on these probes can be viewed at http://www.geinspectiontechnologies.com/download/products/ut/tg/GEIT-20022EN_thickness-gauge-probes.pdf

07:54 Feb-11-2009

Rafal

Sales, - Technical Support
Olympus Poland,
Poland,
Joined Sep 2008
Re: small dia piping ut calibration In Reply to emead at 18:30 Feb-10-2009 (Opening).

Maybe you should use specially designed probes for thin welds? I mean Tandem double transducer special probe for thin welds. These probes are successfully used for many years in Polish power industry. Contact me via email if you need some more informations...

Regards,
Rafal

16:51 Feb-12-2009

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998

To come back to the original question which asked for a standard for calibration of UT on small diameter piping.
As the GE instrument DMS 2 is referenced which is an ultrasonic thickness gauging instrument, and assuming that not a calibration block is required but written standards, I can recommend two European Standards (EN) and a guiding book on ultrasonic thickness measurement:

EN 14127:2004
Non-destructive testing - Ultrasonic thickness measurement

EN 15317:2007
Non-destructive testing – Ultrasonic testing – Characterisation and verification of ultrasonic thickness measuring equipment

Book: Thickness Measurement with Ultrasound (German Society for Welding)
1998, DVS-Verlag, Duesseldorf, Germany. 281 pages

Nevertheless, UT calibration and thickness measurements have to be performed with the same probe.

Best regards
Udo Schlengermann

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|