where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Emil Hasl
Emil Hasl
07:23 May-19-2001
Fiber orientation in SMC

I am in search of a nondestructive test method to view, or at least detect bad flow conditions, voids and delaminations in a SMC part.
The composite is a vinyl ester based sheet molding compound.
It has 63% glass fiber content, and the glass fibers are 1" long.
The density of the glass is 2,6 g/cm3.
The density of the matrix is 1,15 g/cm3.

I am not interested in checking the whole part, it is pretty large, the total mass is 10kg.
The thickest section I neeed to check is about 25mm thick.

Is anyone aware of a commercially available system for checking something like this?

Thank you!
Emil Hasl
Mechanical Engineer

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
05:05 May-21-2001
Re: Fiber orientation in SMC
: I am in search of a nondestructive test method to view, or at least detect bad flow conditions, voids and delaminations in a SMC part.

It may be possible to find these conditions using a number of commercially available ultrasonic flaw detectors with low frequency transducers. Certainly voids and delaminations will be detectable if they're large enough. Minimum detectable void/delamination size would have to be determined experimentally, and will depend on the sound transmission properties of the material, but it's probably on the order of five or six millimeters. If your particular material is excessively attenuating or scattering the minimum detectable flaw size will be higher.

As for fiber misorintation, I would look at sound velocity and attenuation in good and band samples and see if there are changes that correlate with the condition you're looking for. That test is often useful with graphite/epoxy composites and it may be applicable to your material as well.

We'd be happy to examine samples for you if you're interested.

--Tom Nelligan
Panametrics, Inc.

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Echomac® Small

Available with up to eight channels of electronics to detect and evaluate thickness, flaws and eccen
tricity, this UT tester is housed in a convenient, smaller cabinet. This instrument can be used in conjunction with bubbler or immersion tank systems, or with a test bench or in laboratory applications. The Echomac® Small is available in the FD4, FD6 or FD6A versions.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window