where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Laser shearography help
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:59 Feb-17-2009

sathik

Teacher
Crescent Engineering College,
India,
Joined Sep 2004
Laser shearography help

Dear sir/ Madam
I am s.sathik basha, working in crescent engineering college, chennai, India. Now i am in process of buying Laser shearography instrument.
I want to know whether this instument is applied to measure the residual stress of the welded components. Plese tell me how to measure the residual stress using laser shearography and what are necessary requirements.

Please help me in this matter.

Expecting your favourable reply.

Yours sincerely

S.Sathik Basha

06:32 Feb-27-2009

Anand Asundi

R & D, -
Nanyang Technological University,
Singapore,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Laser shearography help In Reply to sathik at 05:59 Feb-17-2009 (Opening).

While there are some papers on Shearography for residual stress determination, I am not sure how best it can be effectively used for this measurement. As with strain gauge methods, to determine residual stress , the hole drilling approach is adopted. However, with optical methods while they do provide whole field information, we would need information from two or three patterns to get the complete state of strain and thus residual stress. Of course if the interest is to just visualize whether stress is present or not , then one picture may suffice.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|