where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Debdutta Mallik
Debdutta Mallik
04:33 Feb-23-2009
query for case depth measurement tester

Sir,
Can anyone suggest me the portable NDT instrument which can measure the case depth of case hardened material as well as the hardness along the depth with change in values (applicable to surface hardened/case hardened material).
By NDT how it can measured what is the hardness below the surface.
Best Regards,

Debdutta Mallik

Simon Amallraja
Simon Amallraja
06:13 Feb-23-2009
Re: query for case depth measurement tester
In Reply to Debdutta Mallik at 04:33 Feb-23-2009 (Opening).

You can use any Ultrasonic Flaw Detector which supports nodularity application for your reqt.

Contact me if you need more details.

Simon

Dave Utrata
R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University, USA, Joined Feb 2000, 37

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
17:33 Feb-23-2009
Re: query for case depth measurement tester
In Reply to Simon Amallraja at 06:13 Feb-23-2009 .

I find this terminology can be confusing. What precisely is meant by case hardened? I personally would expect that to mean a hard surface layer via carburization, but I have colleagues who feel that it could also include nitriding (which I'd accept) and also induction hardening (which isn't correct to me).

Ultimately, the measurement of a case layer is predicated on time of flight of signals reflecting from the interface between the case layer and the interior. Last time I looked there were very few commercially suitable devices for such measurements.
Are any available these days? Doesn't the nature of that "case" seriously affect the success of this ultrasonic method?

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window