where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Debdutta Mallik
Debdutta Mallik
04:33 Feb-23-2009
query for case depth measurement tester

Sir,
Can anyone suggest me the portable NDT instrument which can measure the case depth of case hardened material as well as the hardness along the depth with change in values (applicable to surface hardened/case hardened material).
By NDT how it can measured what is the hardness below the surface.
Best Regards,

Debdutta Mallik

Simon Amallraja
Simon Amallraja
06:13 Feb-23-2009
Re: query for case depth measurement tester
In Reply to Debdutta Mallik at 04:33 Feb-23-2009 (Opening).

You can use any Ultrasonic Flaw Detector which supports nodularity application for your reqt.

Contact me if you need more details.

Simon

Dave Utrata
R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University, USA, Joined Feb 2000, 37

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
17:33 Feb-23-2009
Re: query for case depth measurement tester
In Reply to Simon Amallraja at 06:13 Feb-23-2009 .

I find this terminology can be confusing. What precisely is meant by case hardened? I personally would expect that to mean a hard surface layer via carburization, but I have colleagues who feel that it could also include nitriding (which I'd accept) and also induction hardening (which isn't correct to me).

Ultimately, the measurement of a case layer is predicated on time of flight of signals reflecting from the interface between the case layer and the interior. Last time I looked there were very few commercially suitable devices for such measurements.
Are any available these days? Doesn't the nature of that "case" seriously affect the success of this ultrasonic method?

Product Spotlight

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window