where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
CR Image Plates
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

22:56 Mar-10-2009
bsmoore1451
CR Image Plates

Is anyone having difficulty erasing image plates used in CR? Is there a solution to removing latent images? Repeatability is also a concern as I am losing the 2t hole after three or more shots.

03:35 Mar-11-2009

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: CR Image Plates In Reply to bsmoore1451 at 22:56 Mar-10-2009 (Opening).

I don't know much about Digital Radiography, but from the workshop I got from the Agfa guys, I'm wondering if it would have anything to do with how old your plate is?

Now you express difficulty in erasing the latent image, might it be possible that it would prevent you from seeing the 2T hole as well?

At that workshop, if i remember correctly, I was also told that you can expose your plate to sunlight to erase the latent image.

Hope this will be of help.

12:45 Mar-11-2009
bsmoore1451
Re: CR Image Plates In Reply to Michel Couture at 03:35 Mar-11-2009 .

Thanks Micheal, the plates in question are new. We purchased the system as a turn key system. I have found that exposing the plate to a white light source seems to remove the latent images. My main concern is with the fading. I am having a light box constructed to make it more convenient to erase the plate after each shot, while not slowing production. I have read that the energy used in CR should be reduced as much as 15% from film. I have not found this to be the case. Most specs require 2-2t sensitivity, at the reduced energy I have found this to be a difficult task. I have tried to adjust the kvp starting from 600mas and it is very tricky to juggle the sensitivity with the density/grayscale, often a change of 1 or 2 kv will result in a large change in the image. Anyone else using CR having these problem's?

14:27 Mar-11-2009

Dent

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998

You did not mention what system you are using.
Does it not have an integral eraser? If so maybe you have burned out bulb(s).

I suspect you have a problem with your system. In my 3 years experience with CR absolutely no problem getting 2-2T with X ray. With gamma ray another story.

Since we are not allowed to name names of suppliers here contact me directly by e mail and we can discuss.

Dent

14:49 Mar-11-2009
Jaromir Masa
Re: CR Image Plates In Reply to Michel Couture at 03:35 Mar-11-2009 .

We have also digital x-ray, former Tantus, baught as the whole by us.
About the prices, technical details and delivery terms we can discuss
in the next correspondence.

Jaromir

15:38 Mar-11-2009

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002

What have you done to manage sucess with CR and gamma? We are having issues seeing the same defects on CR as we see on film.
Our major justification for this system was gamma use - we have seen results where everything looks good when vendor is here, then another day after they are gone we have poor results.

21:39 Mar-19-2009
Joe Tuason

What kind of material are you shooting and how thick is it? Are you using filters? If so, what kind and how thick? Some alloys can be bear.

Joe

22:53 Mar-20-2009

yturgtaqpk

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
ApOFwOdplwBQC
Job Location: SuQqJXTvHyqizhCr
offered by qcgvhdlaIn Reply to Joe Tuason at 21:39 Mar-19-2009 .

VedRl4 bvfbvkaxeieg, [url=http://dldfqrgulcvg.com/]dldfqrgulcvg[/url], [link=http://bjzoiaulfkgm.com/]bjzoiaulfkgm[/link], http://ocqopfigyzyv.com/

01:35 Mar-21-2009

Dent

NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: CR Image Plates In Reply to yturgtaqpk at 22:53 Mar-20-2009 .

5" of Zirc should be almost do able with Ir 192 using HR image plates.
My experience with Co 60 and CR is limited to looking for gross defects on very thick steel.
For the quality level you are looking for I doubt that you can get there with CR and Cobalt.

I expect it will be some time before CR quality can completely match film.

16:48 Mar-21-2009

Dent

NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: CR Image Plates In Reply to Dent at 01:35 Mar-21-2009 .

Just had another thought on your problem.

As you know, CR image plates are way more sensitive to radiation than film. Especially with Cobalt you need to pay serious attention to back scatter. You cannot get away with what you would normally use for film. Put lots of lead on the back of the cassette

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|