where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Transfering data from PQR to WPS
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

11:04 Mar-13-2009
Mark Milligan
Transfering data from PQR to WPS

This is my first post so I will start off by saying hello to one and all!

I have just started a new job and they want me to make some WPS from their existing PQR's.
I have never done this before so am I right in assuming that I just transfer the data from the PQR to the WPS, which in turn makes the WQR?

Mark

16:59 Mar-13-2009

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: Transfering data from PQR to WPS In Reply to Mark Milligan at 11:04 Mar-13-2009 (Opening).

Hi Mark,

I don't think I can help, but your post give me the chance to offer a little of insight to all, so I hope you will not get offended and think that I'm picking on you.

I see in your post three abbreviation: WPS, PQR, WQR. And to tell you the truth, I don't know what you are refering to except maybe with WPS which I think refer to welding!

As our world becomes more of a global economy and technical exchange coming from so many sources, this website being the prime example maybe it would be a good idea to first mention what the abbreviation means. NDT is such a vast field and I know that each sector of the industry have their accronym for diffrent techniques and tools used, its innevitable. So informing others on the meaning of those abbreviations will only help but to increase the knowledge of all.

I remember 15 years ago, one of my client was flying Airbus A330-200 and after some difficulty in the inspection of the Main Landing Gear, I was invited to the manufacturer's facility outside of London, England. It was found after technical discussion that the IIW calibration block we were using did not meet the specification of the Service Bulletin. When someone mentionned that it had to meet BS so and so, I had to ask what BS stood for. British Standard the answer came and I relpy Hum!!! This is where the confusion is, because in North America, BS means something totally different.

In closing Mark, welcome to the board. You'll find here many expert who can be of great help.

Cheerio's

17:17 Mar-13-2009

bob sudharmin

Engineering, Reliability and Integrity Eng
Shell Malaysia Trading,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2008
Re: Transfering data from PQR to WPS In Reply to Michel Couture at 16:59 Mar-13-2009 .

I tend to agree to the comment on the unlimited use of acronyms which would be helpful if further reference are made.
A WPS is welding procedure specification. It has to be supported by PQR which is Procedure Qualification Record. I wonder what WQR stands for?

12:10 Mar-14-2009
CHP
Re: Transfering data from PQR to WPS In Reply to bob sudharmin at 17:17 Mar-13-2009 .

Welder Qualification Record?

10:18 Mar-16-2009

zarir ramiz

Re: Transfering data from PQR to WPS In Reply to Mark Milligan at 11:04 Mar-13-2009 (Opening).

ABBREVIATIONS

WPS -welding procedure specification - an approved and accepted welding procedure; an
authorised document.
PQR procedure qualification records - proof the procedure works - record of tests undertaken to qualify procedure.
WAC welder approval certificate - required to ensure a particular welder is capable of welding to a procedure.
WATC welder approval test certificate.
WAR welder approval record.
WPAR welding procedure approval record.
WQT welder qualification test.
pWPS preliminary WPS - unauthorised (contains all essential variables and, after welding the test piece and all NDT and destructive tests have been accepted, then the WPS can be approved).
Re-approval of a welding procedure is necessary if there is a change of any of the essential variables or considerable defect re-occurrence.
ESSENTIAL VARIABLES

An essential variable is a variable that will influence or change the mechanical or metallurgical properties of the welded joint - changes affecting the procedure approval. Any change in an essential variable requires a new welding procedure specification (WPS).
Essential variables include: wall thickness, joint design, process, materials, consumables, welding position, direction, heat input (voltage, amperage, travel speed), heat treatment.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|