where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
3 layer PE - PU foam - PE pipe concentricity measurement
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:29 May-28-2001
Dmitry Ostrovsky
3 layer PE - PU foam - PE pipe concentricity measurement

Please help! I am interested in on- line concentricity measurement of the pipe, which consists of 3 layers: PE internal pipe, Polyurethane foam, and PE outside pipe.

Can you advice companies I should contact?

Regards,

Dmitry Ostrovsky

09:45 May-28-2001

Rolf Diederichs

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: 3 layer PE - PU foam - PE pipe concentricity measurement : Please help! I am interested in on- line concentricity measurement of the pipe, which consists of 3 layers: PE internal pipe, Polyurethane foam, and PE outside pipe.
: Can you advice companies I should contact?
: Regards,
: Dmitry Ostrovsky

Refer to "Coextrusion Layer Thickness Measurement"
http://www.ndt.net/article/rohrext/us_coex/us_coe_e.htm

For multilayer foamed PVC pipes the first layer can be measured. The second Layer also, but not
for all thickness and density conditions. Usually be the last (inner) thin PVC layer cannot be measured.

I personally have done tests at Wavin in Germany to solve this problem.
The main problem is that the inner layer interferes with the backwall echo.
I see a little chance to measure the pipe, however the liability is questionable.
You may get better results near the die since the temperature is higher
and sound velocity is low. That means the separation of the inner layer echoes is better.
But all this is not easy and needs a lot of trials.

Rolf Diederichs

06:20 May-29-2001

Dr. Patel

R & D, Consultant to Universities/Industries
Fallon Ultrasonics/McMaster University,
Canada,
Joined May 2001
Re: 3 layer PE - PU foam - PE pipe concentricity measurement : Please help! I am interested in on- line concentricity measurement of the pipe, which consists of 3 layers: PE internal pipe, Polyurethane foam, and PE outside pipe.

We need details on tube and if you have small sample than you can send us. We are supplying number of systems for tube testing for OD ID and ovality and concentricity with very high accuracy. If you are interested than contact us at
Fallon Ultrasonics Inc.
3 Benemar Court, Hamilton, Ontario L8W 2R1
Canada.
Regards
Dr. Patel

02:13 May-30-2001
Dmitry Ostrovsky
Re: 3 layer PE - PU foam - PE pipe concentricity measurement I appreciate your comments and suggestions! As far as details on the application, max OD of the inner PE pipe is 110 mm; max OD of the outside PE layer is 162 mm with the wall thickness of the outside layer about 3.5 mm. We are just interested to track how well centered is the inside pipe in polyurethane.

Regards,

Dmitry Ostrovsky

: Please help! I am interested in on- line concentricity measurement of the pipe, which consists of 3 layers: PE internal pipe, Polyurethane foam, and PE outside pipe.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|