where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Teletest

Technical Discussions
Dmitry Ostrovsky
Dmitry Ostrovsky
05:29 May-28-2001
3 layer PE - PU foam - PE pipe concentricity measurement

Please help! I am interested in on- line concentricity measurement of the pipe, which consists of 3 layers: PE internal pipe, Polyurethane foam, and PE outside pipe.

Can you advice companies I should contact?

Regards,

Dmitry Ostrovsky

Rolf Diederichs
Director, Editor
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 603

Rolf Diederichs

Director, Editor
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
09:45 May-28-2001
Re: 3 layer PE - PU foam - PE pipe concentricity measurement
: Please help! I am interested in on- line concentricity measurement of the pipe, which consists of 3 layers: PE internal pipe, Polyurethane foam, and PE outside pipe.
: Can you advice companies I should contact?
: Regards,
: Dmitry Ostrovsky

Refer to "Coextrusion Layer Thickness Measurement"
http://www.ndt.net/article/rohrext/us_coex/us_coe_e.htm

For multilayer foamed PVC pipes the first layer can be measured. The second Layer also, but not
for all thickness and density conditions. Usually be the last (inner) thin PVC layer cannot be measured.

I personally have done tests at Wavin in Germany to solve this problem.
The main problem is that the inner layer interferes with the backwall echo.
I see a little chance to measure the pipe, however the liability is questionable.
You may get better results near the die since the temperature is higher
and sound velocity is low. That means the separation of the inner layer echoes is better.
But all this is not easy and needs a lot of trials.

Rolf Diederichs

Dr. Patel
R & D, Consultant to Universities/Industries
Fallon Ultrasonics/McMaster University, Canada, Joined May 2001, 20

Dr. Patel

R & D, Consultant to Universities/Industries
Fallon Ultrasonics/McMaster University,
Canada,
Joined May 2001
06:20 May-29-2001
: Please help! I am interested in on- line concentricity measurement of the pipe, which consists of 3 layers: PE internal pipe, Polyurethane foam, and PE outside pipe.

We need details on tube and if you have small sample than you can send us. We are supplying number of systems for tube testing for OD ID and ovality and concentricity with very high accuracy. If you are interested than contact us at
Fallon Ultrasonics Inc.
3 Benemar Court, Hamilton, Ontario L8W 2R1
Canada.
Regards
Dr. Patel

Dmitry Ostrovsky
Dmitry Ostrovsky
02:13 May-30-2001
I appreciate your comments and suggestions! As far as details on the application, max OD of the inner PE pipe is 110 mm; max OD of the outside PE layer is 162 mm with the wall thickness of the outside layer about 3.5 mm. We are just interested to track how well centered is the inside pipe in polyurethane.

Regards,

Dmitry Ostrovsky

Product Spotlight

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Mentor UT – Ultrasonic Phased Array Flaw Detector

With Mentor UT, you get an accessible and efficient inspection experience. Create user-defined menus
and workflows (“apps”) with GE’s desktop software Mentor Create to ensure consistency, even for the most complex inspections, every time. Mentor UT is the first UT device to easily allow wireless connectivity and live streaming, so you get second opinions when you need them most—in real-time.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window