where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
procedure or code for Thermography
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

GRANPECT COMPANY Ltd
GRANPECT, X-ray NDT Expert You Can Rely on

02:37 Mar-20-2009

zakie

R & D,
Malaysian Nuclear Agency,
Malaysia,
Joined Nov 2007
procedure or code for Thermography

There was a statement said, " thermography has a lot of possibilties in term of its application but most of them are very tricky".. how far this statement is true? anyone are welcome to comment!!
And talking about procedure or code of thermography, unlike conventional NDT method (UT, RT, ET etc) these methods already have their own, but when come to IR thermography, it only has a few guideline (not procedure or code). My question is why this situation happens? in fact, this method had been introduced such a very long time ago, probably since 1980s!!

01:53 Mar-21-2009

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: procedure or code for Thermography In Reply to zakie at 02:37 Mar-20-2009 (Opening).

Dear Zaki,

That is not a long time compared to other NDT methods like ET, UT etc. and now some specifications and standards are coming up. If you need specific help, I can refer you to some experts in this field in India. I have not worked personally with Thermography though I am aware of its potential.

Regards.

Swamy

20:26 Mar-21-2009

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: procedure or code for Thermography In Reply to zakie at 02:37 Mar-20-2009 (Opening).

Thermography is one of those techniques that falls into a grey area between NDE and PdM/Condition Monitoring. There is a huge number of applications widely documented and procedurized. The issue is that for many applications you may need to look beyond the NDE world.
Look at the ASNT Catalogs to get a starting point, PCN has an IR scheme but its in the Condition Monitoring Committee. Try some of the Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering Journals. Then look at proceedings of annual confereances such as Inframation.

18:55 Mar-27-2009

aldo

Engineering
Italy,
Joined Jan 2009
Re: procedure or code for Thermography In Reply to John O'Brien at 20:26 Mar-21-2009 .

I found very interting this discussion and on this matter and i need some information on this technique. Are there techical books or scentific article also on internet speaking on this technique? I need this information because the goal of my plane is to apply this techique over coating stator blade for to check flaws and other discontinuity such as cracks, porosity,ecc.
Tanks for your attention
aldo

18:27 Mar-30-2009

RVI man

Director
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2008
Re: procedure or code for Thermography In Reply to aldo at 18:55 Mar-27-2009 .

Please visit www.flir.com and drop them a line - one of their technical team will be happy to advise you on this application which is quite well developed already.

03:35 Mar-31-2009

zakie

R & D,
Malaysia,
Joined Nov 2007
Re: procedure or code for Thermography In Reply to aldo at 18:55 Mar-27-2009 .

This is one of the reason why I raised up this subject matter..
Forget a little while about IR for predictive maintenance coz it is only give you qualitative data, the intention is only to find out the hot spot.. Now we are talking about IR for NDE/ NDT (some people call it as Thermal NDT). I'm not denying that there is a lot of procedures mention in some journals or proceeding (from Maldague, Vavilov, Swiderki etc), however they are not stadardise or in a simple word they are quite different in each other. Same intention/ purpose/ objective but different way of methodology. Moreover, it is quite difficult for people to access it (eg. fee for subscription). The issue here is why scientist/ researchers or people is this area do not compile all these procedures or method in one book ( technical book or we might call it as standard procedures for IRT), just like what they did for UT, ET etc, therefore it will be more easy for people who are interested on IRT to get/ find or achieve any info about this advance NDT technique!!

20:10 Mar-31-2009

David Forsyth

R & D
TRI/Austin,
USA,
Joined Nov 2001
Re: procedure or code for Thermography In Reply to zakie at 03:35 Mar-31-2009 .

I agree guidelines/codes are important. Be aware that ASTM committee E07 subcommittee 10 is working on some of these issues you mention. There is, for example, ASTM E2582 - 07 Standard Practice for Infrared Flash Thermography of Composite Panels and Repair Patches Used in Aerospace Applications. The committee is working on ASTM WK8211 - New Standard Guide for Nondestructive Testing of Polymer Matrix Composites Used in Aerospace Applications which will likely include some thermography.

I do not know what is going on in EN or ISO.

Regards, Dave.

06:55 Apr-01-2009

zakie

R & D,
Malaysia,
Joined Nov 2007
Re: procedure or code for Thermography In Reply to David Forsyth at 20:10 Mar-31-2009 .

Thank you very much for this information.. At least something good is going on and IRT (Thermal NDT) is on its track..

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|