where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
about magnetic particle machine
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

04:34 Mar-23-2009

richeng

NDT Inspector,
P&W SHANGHAI ENGINE CENTER,
China,
Joined Mar 2009
about magnetic particle machine

hi,

we wanna buy a magnetic particle machine to inspect aero engine parts.The longest part is about 1.8m and with 0.3m OD.The question is how to inspect the part all over its surface? the longitudinal crack and circumference crack?and how many times needed to do ?

09:20 Mar-23-2009

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: about magnetic particle machine In Reply to richeng at 04:34 Mar-23-2009 (Opening).

Dear Richeng,

Answering a few questions given below will clarify your own question.

1) Are the parts magnetic?

2) Are the parts of uniform cross section, for example, a bar or a tubular

3) What is the process of manufacture?

If the part is uniform in cross section, bench model magnetic particle testing machines are suitable. Longitudinal and circular magnetizations are possible. More details can be worked out once you are clear about the three points raised above.

Best wishes.

Swamy
Quality and NDT Expert

20:25 Mar-23-2009

aldo

Engineering
Italy,
Joined Jan 2009
Re: about magnetic particle machine In Reply to richeng at 04:34 Mar-23-2009 (Opening).

Hi richeng..
I tinks that:
1)are correct the questions of S.V.Swamy
2) for longitudinal crack you can use the central o offset conductor and no end to end because excessive length of the part can caused eletrical arcing burning it. Is important that the rod must be coated for have not eletrical arcing
3) you can use the tipical circular magentization with coil for circumference crack. In this case you to choose central coil or wall coil..
3)you must have the plant for to operate with the parts wich have longest part
4) the choose of the specific such as ASTM E144....
Bye aldo

03:17 Mar-24-2009

richeng

NDT Inspector,
China,
Joined Mar 2009
Re: about magnetic particle machine In Reply to aldo at 20:25 Mar-23-2009 .

Dear all,

First,the parts can be magnetised.
Second,the longest shaft is not uniform cross section,and a tubular with a small side and a big side.
Third,there is a general process to all parts,but not details.

and more questions about 'flat coil', what is 'flat coil'?

04:11 Mar-24-2009

richeng

NDT Inspector,
China,
Joined Mar 2009
Re: about magnetic particle machine In Reply to richeng at 03:17 Mar-24-2009 .

dear sir,

In order to inspect all surface and all cracks,how many coils do the machine need?
(1) For pole piece inspection, use 2 coils ,22 amp rating.
(2) For vertical coil inspection, use one coil, 5 turns,
2700 amp rating.
(3) Split coil conductor, use 6000
amp rating.
(4) Flat coil, use 9 turns, 2700 amp rating.

It is some items from the general process. i'm confused about the 'coils' in the process.
so if i want to check some small ring parts,and big tubular shafts,how to choose MPI machine with whatever coils?

thanks!

14:44 Mar-24-2009

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: about magnetic particle machine In Reply to richeng at 04:11 Mar-24-2009 .

Richeng,

I read your coordinates. Are you working for Pratt & Whitney?

The reason I'm asking is that I use to do lots in the aircraft industry and some of it was P&W related components. Our wet bench was the regular wet bench type. 6000 Amps output and a 5 turns coil. I also have a friend with his own shop who does work for them and the same goes for him. His machine is similar to what I've told you. If you're in the business of purchasing a wet bench, maybe you want to look at one with a fairly long bed to accomodate the engine shaft.

One other thing that come to mind, why don't you contact the P&W people in the USA or Canada. I'm sure they would be able to give you the right asnwer.

Cheerio's

15:20 Mar-24-2009
Simon

Log on to www.karldeutsch.com, you get more details for your reqt. They have plenty of MPI systems - Automated , Semi Automated and Manusl systems

Simon

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|