where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Metal Magnetic Memory For Pipelines
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

FI Test- und Messtechnik GmbH

11:30 Mar-28-2009

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Metal Magnetic Memory For Pipelines

A technique based out of Russsia employing Magnetic Metal Memory for the surveying of pipelines has come to our attention. It is sometimes marketed as Magnetic Tomography. I would be interested in any feedback where this has been employed and the confirmation results.

13:00 Apr-03-2009
Alex
Re: Metal Magnetic Memory For Pipelines In Reply to John O'Brien at 11:30 Mar-28-2009 (Opening).

In Russia this method is advertised widely by the author.
I was the participant of field tests of this method on a gas pipeline.
Results:
Precisely defines ring seams of the pipeline under the earth;
Probably defines places of an elastic bend of a pipe;
All control defects are not found out;
All responses in Russia positive.
Acknowledgement of results, in my opinion, the doubtful.

06:01 Aug-25-2016
Baharin
Re: Metal Magnetic Memory For Pipelines In Reply to Alex at 13:00 Apr-03-2009 .

dear all, the metal magnetic memory method is an passive inspection approach in identifying Stress Concentration Zones (Weak Areas) based on established correlation between natural magnetic of a ferrous or paramagnetic material. This appoach is more to contact approach whereby the sensor are similar with UT design. Our company had done a lot of works for Petronas for base metal and insulated pipeline inspection which we obtained convincing results.
Just want to emphasize that the founder of MMM technology is Energodiagnoatika Pte Ltd. They also developed a technology known as non contact magnetometric diagnostics whereby its collects the stress profile of buried pipeline based on distortion of MMM effect towards earth magnetic field value. We had a vast experience on the application of this technology which we believe can be adding up value to increase the inspection confidence level. for any enquiries please do not hesitate to contact me, i would gladly sharing on the fundamental and application of MMM technology

14:14 Dec-07-2016

mohammad

Director,
Pars Leading Inspection Company,
Iran,
Joined Apr 2012
Re: Metal Magnetic Memory For Pipelines In Reply to Baharin at 06:01 Aug-25-2016 .

Dear Baharin

Do you have any experience to apply none contact MMM inspection for buried pipeline?

if yes, with which company you did this inspection? and the result were satisfied or not?

if you have any documentation I appreciated to send me.

16:04 Dec-07-2016

Volodymyr

Engineering, Deputy Director for Technical Issues/Head of Testing Laboratory/Chief of department/NDT
Joint Stock Company,
Portugal,
Joined Mar 2016
Re: Metal Magnetic Memory For Pipelines In Reply to John O'Brien at 11:30 Mar-28-2009 (Opening).

I had. All places of contact with other ferromagnetic parts and all influences on the factory You can catch. But nothing, any useful information about real condition pipeline You couldn't catch. Because masking useful information behind trash signals. Passive method, what else...You will make yourself around your finger.

17:21 Dec-07-2016

Potter, Mark

Director,
Sonemat limited,
United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2016
Re: Metal Magnetic Memory For Pipelines In Reply to Volodymyr at 16:04 Dec-07-2016 .

I did a little research into this a few years back. I found the principle worked and was quite clever, but it was prone to distortion from external magnetic fields (even weak ones such as passively magnetised steel objects nearby) which made it impractical in a complicated industrial setting.

These were lab trials though, so I can't comment on practical application, though I suspect it would work best for long distance pipelines far from any distorting influences such as nearby machinery. I also only performed it at close range, so no idea about how well it works as a long range technique for buried pipe, though I guess as long as you can sense the field you can sens the field polarity flips that can indicate stress concentrations...

Mark.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|