where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
multidirection field
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

PBP Optel sp. z o.o.
We are searching new ways - in ultrasonic techniques - in creation of new products

20:47 Apr-04-2009

aldo

Engineering
Italy,
Joined Jan 2009
multidirection field

On book of NDT says the following question:When using both a circular and longitudinal magnetic field, the circular field is usually established first because:
1)It is more difficult to establish a circular field
2)It is easier to flip the domains of a circular field to a longitudinal field
3)It is easier to measure a longitudinal field
4)None of the above
I replied the number 4...but correct answer is 3..
Why?
Best regards

23:03 Apr-04-2009

P V SASTRY

R & D, NDT tecniques metallurgy
TAKEN VRS FROM THE POSITION OF SR. DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER BHEL CORPORATE R&D,
India,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: multidirection field In Reply to aldo at 20:47 Apr-04-2009 (Opening).

Dear Mr. Also

The answer 3 is indeed right.

A component magnetized in longitudinal direction behaves like a bar magnet. It has well developed north and south poles on either ends (If it is AC current these poles alternate depending on the frequency.) As you know from the Bar magnet experiments the magnetic lines of force are assumed to emanate from the north pole of a magnet, pass through surrounding space, and enter the South Pole. The lines of force then travel inside the magnet from the South Pole to the North Pole, thus completing a closed loop.

The point to be noted is that at the poles there is a strong field in the surrounding space. Hence a gauss meter placed near the ends can easily read the flux density.

Same is not true in case of circular magnetization. The lines of force are inside the components and in closed loops and hardly leave the component. As the field mostly stays inside, component it is difficult to measure. Indeed there will be leakage fields if there are structural discontinuities in the component like holes or steps but these are not the sites where you would like to measure the true field strength unless it is a research project.

Incidentally, this is the reason why before routine demagnetization in the field, we first magnetize the component in longitudinal direction with perceivably higher current than what we have given in the preceding circular magnetization. Then the component is demagnetized with a collapsing AC current so that we can easily verify the absence of residual field at the poles.

Good luck and best wishes

P V SASTRY

09:03 Apr-05-2009

aldo

Engineering
Italy,
Joined Jan 2009
Re: multidirection field In Reply to P V SASTRY at 23:03 Apr-04-2009 .

Tanks for your replay...
whereby when i misure the circular magnetic filed, the value of field which i read on Gauss Meter in not true but that true is the value the longitudinal magnetic field... Is exactly my interpretation on your replay?
Aldo

20:49 Apr-06-2009

P V SASTRY

India,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: multidirection field In Reply to aldo at 09:03 Apr-05-2009 .

Dear Mr. Aldo,

Your understanding with respect to the circular versus longitudinal field is right.

Good luck and best wishes

P V SASTRY.

14:28 Apr-08-2009

ezio

Other, Retired ex Laboratory Technical Manager
OMECO Research Centre,
Italy,
Joined Sep 2008
Re: multidirection field In Reply to P V SASTRY at 20:49 Apr-06-2009 .

your answer is perfect, bat the right answer to quiz-question is not 3 bat 4. In question is not measure nor demagnetisation, but only "established".

18:22 Apr-08-2009

P V SASTRY

India,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: multidirection field In Reply to ezio at 14:28 Apr-08-2009 .

Your are right. I stand corrected. I did not see the question properly. The answer 4 is right for the question asked.

Thanks and regards

P V SASTRY

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|