where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Need some career advice please
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Zawada NDT
Suppliers of instruments to test steel wire ropes in-situ, using magnetic, non-destructive method.

01:00 Apr-09-2009
Dave B.
Need some career advice please

Hi folks.

I've been an engineer for 10 years now and in the present climate, i'm looking for a career change. Last year my company paid for me to attain my pcn level 2 in MT. This is something that interests me so i'm thinking about taking it further (on my own expense). I've tried doing a bit of research on this site and others as to the best course of action so i was wondering if you had any advice as to what certificates would be best for my job prospects (UT, RT, eddy current?) I'm not adverse to the idea of working offshore either. Obviously i'd need the offshore training and medical but what other ndt techniques would be most sought after? Sorry if i'm rambling a bit, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

01:23 Apr-09-2009

Phil

NDT Inspector, Radiation Safety
BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
Re: Need some career advice please In Reply to Dave B. at 01:00 Apr-09-2009 (Opening).

Dave, as I have posted earlier on advice for courses seems to be a lot of work for UT, MT, PT, qualifications but to get UT and PT PCN you would have to go through level 1, gain the required experience then level 2 plus the courses of course, but also seems to be work for tofd and AUT as well so really it would be up to you which way you went. Best of luck, and hope this has helped a little.
Regards,
Phil

01:31 Apr-09-2009
Dave B.
Re: Need some career advice please In Reply to Phil at 01:23 Apr-09-2009 .

Thanks for the response Phil.

Is rope access a requirement for most ndt jobs? I wondered if this was really necessary.

Thanks

19:41 Apr-09-2009

Phil

BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
Re: Need some career advice please In Reply to Dave B. at 01:31 Apr-09-2009 .

Dave,
Rope access is becoming a requirement now if you want to work offshore. Not all offshore work but most. So really it is up to you. So things are now as clear as mud !! Hope it helped a litttle.

Phil

13:57 Apr-12-2009

Phil

BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
Re: Need some career advice please In Reply to Phil at 19:41 Apr-09-2009 .

Dave,
One more thing I forgot to add is that now employers are asking for qualifications which in most cases are way over the top for the job required, but you will find that out for yourself in the future. Also the employers forget that if you are getting all the qualifications they want you to have you would not have the time to work and gain the experience they also require. Not meant to put you off just a fact of life.

Regards,

Phil

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|