where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

GB Inspection Systems Ltd.
A leading UK manufacturer of Ultrasonic Probes, Accessories, Supplier of NDT Equipment and more.

Technical Discussions
Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 520

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
01:39 Apr-09-2009
Low Temperature Thickness measurement

One of our customers is asking about the possibility of thickness measurement in a LOW temperature application on metal at around -100C (170K)

Not one I've come across before. , has anyone else any experience of this .

I'm looking for ideas on Couplants, How well it worked, and whether standard probes lasted/worked OK.

(I don't think its a delayed April Fool, although it did cross my mind...)

TomNelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

TomNelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
14:58 Apr-09-2009
Re: Low Temperature Thickness measurement
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 01:39 Apr-09-2009 (Opening).

We too get asked about that sort of thing on occasion, typically involving corrosion testing of pipes and tanks in cryogenic systems, and the big problem is finding a viable couplant that remains a liquid or gel at such low temperatures. Most high temperature dual element transducers that are designed to work on surfaces at plus several hundred degrees Celsius will tolerate short-term contact with surfaces at minus a hundred degrees, so the transducer doesn't have to be a limitation. The same design considerations that protect high temperature duals from thermal expansion effects would normally protect them from thermal contraction as well. But we don't have a couplant to recommend. I have suggested to customers that they might look into exotic lubricants to see if there's anything that might work (other than graphite lubricants, which aren't a good acoustic couplant), but to date no one has ever gotten back to me with a suggestion.

Jim Kovarik
Engineering
Lixi, Inc., USA, Joined Nov 1998, 39

Jim Kovarik

Engineering
Lixi, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
16:21 Apr-09-2009
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 01:39 Apr-09-2009 (Opening).

Are you limited to ultrasonics for acquiring the thickness measurements?

R Duwe
NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS, USA, Joined Jan 2009, 148

R Duwe

NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
18:17 Apr-09-2009
In Reply to Jim Kovarik at 16:21 Apr-09-2009 .

Couplant: Have you tried silicon oil? Another possible ULT couplant is alcohol. At dry ice temps, isopropyl has a moderate viscosity, should work well. Hopefully, your calibration block is also at the low temp.

Product Spotlight

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

ISONIC 3510

Very Powerful Superior Performance Extremely Portable Smart Phased Array Ultrasonic Flaw Detector an
d Recorder with 2 Conventional UT and TOFD Channels uniquely combines PA, single- and multi-channel conventional UT, and TOFD modalities providing 100% raw data recording and imaging. Suitable for all kinds of every-day ultrasonic inspections
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window