where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Jack Tensen
R & D, project leader
Lismar Engineering b.v., Netherlands, Joined Mar 2000, 6

Jack Tensen

R & D, project leader
Lismar Engineering b.v.,
Netherlands,
Joined Mar 2000
17:07 Apr-14-2009
Surface waves on hot steel plates

Dear readers,

I am looking for a way to use surface Rayleigh waves on hot steel plates (150-180 degr. C.)
I am thinking on coupling the sound in the plate by means of a squirter and a high water flow.
The probe is positioned about 3-4 cm above the plate and water flows through the squirter over the plate. Iam not sure this will work specially for the Rayleigh waves travelling over the steel/water boundary?
Has anyone experience with this or other suggestions? please I like to know

Borja
Director
Innerspec Technologies, USA, Joined Jun 2002, 36

Borja

Director
Innerspec Technologies,
USA,
Joined Jun 2002
20:40 Apr-14-2009
Re: Surface waves on hot steel plates
In Reply to Jack Tensen at 17:07 Apr-14-2009 (Opening).

EMAT is a very good option for generating ultrasound on hot materials, and it is especially well suited for generation of guided waves (including surface waves). You can visit www.innerspec.com for additional information.

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
20:53 Apr-14-2009
Re: Surface waves on hot steel plates
In Reply to Jack Tensen at 17:07 Apr-14-2009 (Opening).

I have never tried the test at high temperature, but at normal environmental temperatures the water on the surface of the metal can be an issue. An incident longitudinal wave in a water column at the correct angle will generate a Rayleigh wave in steel, but the Rayleigh wave will be very quickly dampened by the water on the surface, and not travel very far before dissipating. That may be a problem depending on the specific sensitivity and sound path length requirements of your test.

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Flaw Detector & Thickness Gauge: Smartor

SIUI’s newly launched Smartor is a combination of ultrasonic testing and ultrasonic thickness me
asurement. ●IP 66 ●Compact size: 198 (W)* 128 (H) *520 (D) mm ●0.9kg only with battery ●5.7" LCD with high resolution 640×480 pixels ●One-hand operation ●Multiple conventional UT functions ●Smart Test Wizard ●Weld Simulation
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window