where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Advantages of thermography over radiography?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:09 Apr-15-2009
Tyler
Advantages of thermography over radiography?

I was interested in looking more into thermography and was wondering the advantages it has over radiography. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

16:47 Apr-15-2009

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Advantages of thermography over radiography? In Reply to Tyler at 01:09 Apr-15-2009 (Opening).

They are two different methods employing different principles of NDT. Thermography is used for evaluation of composites where radiography may have limited applications. Both are essentially useful for volumetric defects in preference to planar defects.

I would suggest that you choose the appropriate method for a given material, processing and size, shape etc.

Swamy
NDT Guru

18:37 Apr-15-2009
Jason Ostroff
Re: Advantages of thermography over radiography? In Reply to Tyler at 01:09 Apr-15-2009 (Opening).

What type of material is being tested is the first question of concern. The second question is what are the types of discontinuities to be detected. As was stated in an earlier reply, it is a vloumetric inspection that could produce qualatative and quantative data. There are several different types of thermograpy that use differnt types of heat sources. If we are talking about metals there is a considerable amount of heat that is needed to gather data. If the material in question is composite, then the heat input variable goes down. If you would like to discuss more about applications you can give me an email jason.ostroff@mistrasgroup.com and I would be happy to try and help further with the best pracitces and guidance.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|