where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Mark
Mark
23:09 Apr-15-2009
UT Question

A question for you UT guys,
We could be reducing a 6m length of s355 250/150?12.5 *6 to 240/150/12.5 (I don't know why they want to do this as we can get this in) How long would it take to UT a section of this?

It will be a single V on both sides.

I'm just looking for an approximate sort of time (give or take what ever probs/set
backs or hassle free) not pin point.

Roger Duwe
NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS, USA, Joined Jan 2009, 148

Roger Duwe

NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
03:27 Apr-16-2009
Re: UT Question
My general rule-of-thumb is 1-2 ft/minute, so about 1/2 meter/minute. The 'gotcha!' is that indications take 5-15 minutes each. Thus the time is in the defects found, not the scanning time. I have found enough 'stuff' in 12 meters of weld to keep me busy all day.

If a full formal report of each defect is not required, only marking of the defects and depths, such that the welder can perform repairs, plan on 2-5 minutes per defect.

Mark
Mark
05:57 Apr-16-2009
Re: UT Question
In Reply to Roger Duwe at 03:27 Apr-16-2009 .

Hi Roger,

I was thinking all day but just wanted to make sure so i'll say 8/10 hrs but could poss be longer all depends on the weld.

Mark

Product Spotlight

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window