where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
Career Discussions >
Costs of UT pipeline inspection, planes, rail, ships
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Sonotron NDT
Original developer and manufacturer of advanced ultrasonic instruments

16:15 Apr-16-2009
Giulia
Costs of UT pipeline inspection, planes, rail, ships

Hello,

can anyone of you tell me what it costs (approximately) to check a pipeline of 1 km using UT? I need this number for a seminar paper. It would be also great, if you could tell me what it costs to check a ship, a plane and ICE axes. You can make an estimation, too. I am not very good in making a guess about numbers.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Giulia

16:22 Apr-18-2009

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: Costs of UT pipeline inspection, planes, rail, ships In Reply to Giulia at 16:15 Apr-16-2009 (Opening).

Hi Giulia,

What you are asking is a pretty tall order. I guess those that are more involved with pipelines knows what is involved and could give you an answer, but some other stuff like a plane, it is almost impossible.

For a plane, the ocst are very much dependent on the type, model and age of the plane. There are scheduled inpsection and the cost for that can be estimated and there are some unscheduled inspection like Airworthiness Directives (normally issued by the FAA) and Service Bulletins (issued by the manufacturer) where it is a little more tricky. Sometimes what start as a straight forward inspection turns into a nightmare. And this is when the cost goes up.

I hope you understand.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|